EXCEL Web Query update

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

EXCEL Web Query update

Postby thunderfoot » Fri May 11, 2007 8:40 pm

I have an EXCEL web query linked to one sheet and BA to another, and have the following code ....
Code: Select all
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
       ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll
End Sub

...... that just keeps refreshing the Web Query. Runs OK most of the time but every now and then I get the dialogue box "The file could not be accessed. Try one of the following:" blah de blah de blah.

How can I keep the Web query refreshing without the error?
thunderfoot

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Can you put in some error trapping ?

On Error Resume Next

On Error Goto etc

I bet it's the sportinglife website your accessing :) That seems to be so overloaded it fails far too often
Captain Sensible

Postby Mitch » Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Agree, I'm trying to write a vb.net app that gets the liveshows from the sp website. Sometimes it's very quick then others it takes quite a few seconds to return anything.

Also agree on the error handling, saves the macro stopping every time it's slow.
Mitch

Postby thunderfoot » Fri May 11, 2007 11:01 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:I bet it's the sportinglife website your accessing :) That seems to be so overloaded it fails far too often

Naaahhhh!!! Ladbrokes.

The Web Query is to a Greyhound event, and has an address similar to :
http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?act ... =211340912

..... I then compare the odds offered by Ladbrokes with the odds available on Betfair, using the BA link into EXCEL.

Haven't tried this with GG's yet but works OK on the Doggies, so should work OK (if I can stop the error) with that market as well.
thunderfoot

Postby Ian » Sat May 12, 2007 7:56 am

I use a web query to Hills site for live prices on horses.
Ian

Postby Mitch » Sat May 12, 2007 11:40 am

thunderfoot wrote:
Captain Sensible wrote:I bet it's the sportinglife website your accessing :) That seems to be so overloaded it fails far too often

Naaahhhh!!! Ladbrokes.

The Web Query is to a Greyhound event, and has an address similar to :
http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?act ... =211340912

..... I then compare the odds offered by Ladbrokes with the odds available on Betfair, using the BA link into EXCEL.

Haven't tried this with GG's yet but works OK on the Doggies, so should work OK (if I can stop the error) with that market as well.

I'm not after your secrets but just curious...
Do you use your compared info to spot a price that you think will move then trade it, or spot value or lack of it then back or lay accordingly?

Don't feel you have to answer if you don't want to.
Mitch

Postby thunderfoot » Sat May 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Mitch wrote:I'm not after your secrets but just curious...
Do you use your compared info to spot a price that you think will move then trade it, or spot value or lack of it then back or lay accordingly?
Don't feel you have to answer if you don't want to.

It's pretty well accepted that the Doggies are a bit of a lottery, and the Bookmakers Book Prices for these events are 120%+. By comparing the 'Live' Bookmaker prices with the prices on Betfair (who's Book Prices are about the 100 - 105% mark), it's not unusual for the Betfair prices to be 75%+ better than a Bookmaker (e.g. 5.00 on a Bookmaker; 10.00 on Betfair [100% better] .... just seen one showing 4.50 on Ladbrokes and 11.00 on Betfair!!!). In those cases I consider that to be a 'Value' BACK bet. Sometimes (not often), the Betfair LAY prices are within 5 - 10% of a Bookmakers price (I have seen instances where if you were quick you could have BACKed on Ladbrokes and LAYed on Betfair to make profit, but the available money on Betfair is usually quite low so not really worth the effort/risk), so I consider those to be a 'Value' LAY bet.

I haven't tried it on GG's yet, but my guess is it 'might-be-interesting'!!! :wink:

Reason why I've started to look at Doggies is because I have 2 years :shock: of UK racing results, and having done some analysis on the Trap results, there are two Trap combinations, at different venues, that have shown a steady and consistent profit. There were other combinations but there were some huge Peaks & Troughs when I graphed the results, and the two I identified showed a nice steady climb!!!! :D :D :D :wink:
thunderfoot

Postby Mitch » Sat May 12, 2007 1:53 pm

I thought about this once but then the other way of thinking is that if a price is too big on Betfair compared to bookies then people are not afraid to Lay the said mutt and it may win less often than it should.

Either way you've obviously done your homework, good luck to you.
Mitch

Postby Ian » Sat May 12, 2007 2:20 pm

There's an application available that compares bookies prices against Betfair.

www.xchangebots.co.uk
Ian

Postby thunderfoot » Mon May 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi All,

Just an update ...... Web Query and BA working hand-in-hand now with no problem, and it's working with the GG's. It's been VERY :shock: interesting watching the comparisons and seeing the ARB oppourtunities between Ladbrokes and Betfair LAY's. I've calculated some of 'em to give some very good returns, NOT the usual 1-3%'s :wink: AND they've been available for some time, so plenty of time to LAY via BA and BACK on Ladbrokes.

NOW, d'ya know what'll really make BA really GGGGRRREEEEAATTTT! To have exactly the same information downloaded to another worksheet from Betdaq. .... and IF only execution of bets could be made to a Bookmakers site as well!!!! :wink: :lol:
thunderfoot

Postby milfor » Thu May 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Several people wrote about "GG". What does this mean?
milfor

Postby Captain Sensible » Thu May 17, 2007 6:23 pm

gg = gee gee's slang for horses
Captain Sensible

Return to Discussion