running multiple seperate spreadsheets at same time with(BA)

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

running multiple seperate spreadsheets at same time with(BA)

Postby iankn73 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi chaps,

Can anyone advise whether its possible to run the above using BA asI have a few different strategies and would like
to be able to run them simultaniously, is this possible?

Thanks,

Ian
iankn73

Postby GeorgeUK » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:08 pm

possibly

But it may need to involve VBA (never really tried these ideas)
You could have Sheet1 of the main workbook picking up the BA data
and have all your other workbooks send and receive to the relevent cells on Sheet1

OR

Have 5 sperate pages on BA set to look at the same thing
Have page1 sending to the first workbook
page2 sending to the 2nd workbook etc

This way the bets can be kept seperate and there won't be any confusion or missed bets if more than one workbook is trying to send data to the same cell at the same time.
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby iankn73 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:35 pm

GeorgeUK wrote:possibly

But it may need to involve VBA (never really tried these ideas)
You could have Sheet1 of the main workbook picking up the BA data
and have all your other workbooks send and receive to the relevent cells on Sheet1

OR

Have 5 sperate pages on BA set to look at the same thing
Have page1 sending to the first workbook
page2 sending to the 2nd workbook etc

This way the bets can be kept seperate and there won't be any confusion or missed bets if more than one workbook is trying to send data to the same cell at the same time.

Thanks GeorgeUK,

That sounds like quite a feat which I dont think I'm cabaple of. I'll just need to purchase 3 or 4 laptops and run them simultaniously! lol
iankn73

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 am

lol - probably easiest doing the 2nd option.

Try opening 2 pages in BA and open 2 workbooks.
Link page1 to workbook1
and page2 to workbook2

should be pretty straight forward i think - but like i said, never tried it myself.

good luck
GeorgeUK

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:22 am

GeorgeUK wrote:lol - probably easiest doing the 2nd option.

Try opening 2 pages in BA and open 2 workbooks.
Link page1 to workbook1
and page2 to workbook2

should be pretty straight forward i think - but like i said, never tried it myself.

good luck

Hi GeorgeUK,

I take it when you say "try opening 2 pages in BA" you mean running 2 instances of BA? as I tried running 1 instance of BA then open up two workbooks but....BA will only refresh 1 workbook. I'm currently running 2 instances of BA and 2 workbooks and it seems to be ok. I'll check it once the markets are in place.

Maybe this is one for the workshop whereas you can run one instance of BA with multiple workbooks as it should cut down resources?

Thanks again for the suggestions GeorgeUK
iankn73

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:28 am

BA can update more than one workbook. What catches people out is that you have to open the workbooks from the same Excel application instance. After you have opened the first workbook then use the Excel file menu of the first workbook to open the 2nd workbook, both workbooks will then be visible to BA.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:38 am

GaryRussell wrote:BA can update more than one workbook. What catches people out is that you have to open the workbooks from the same Excel application instance. After you have opened the first workbook then use the Excel file menu of the first workbook to open the 2nd workbook, both workbooks will then be visible to BA.

Thanks GaryRussell. I'm up and running now!!! :wink:
iankn73

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 am

iankn73 wrote:
GaryRussell wrote:BA can update more than one workbook. What catches people out is that you have to open the workbooks from the same Excel application instance. After you have opened the first workbook then use the Excel file menu of the first workbook to open the 2nd workbook, both workbooks will then be visible to BA.

Thanks GaryRussell. I'm up and running now!!! :wink:

Hi GaryRussell,

I have tried as you suggested above and although I can see both workbooks within BA excel interface, BA will only refresh the first workbook chosen from the drop down menu it will not refresh the 2nd workbook I'm using the latest beta 1.0.0.50 and excel 2003.

Any ideas rather than running 2 instances of BA?

Thanks Ian
iankn73

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:04 am

Silly question i know, but... do you have 2 pages open in the same instance of BA?
Or are you tring to get 1 page to update 2 workbooks?

Sorry - had to ask.
GeorgeUK

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 am

GeorgeUK wrote:Silly question i know, but... do you have 2 pages open in the same instance of BA?

Sorry - had to ask.

Hi GeorgeUK,

1. I open up spreadsheet1 which has two workbooks within it. I then proceed to load Spreadsheet2 (also two workbooks within it) within Spreadsheet1 by clicking on file > then open.

2.I fire up BA then click on the excel option and tick log current prices I then enable trigger betting and show balance for both workbooks from the drop down menu.

Hope this answers your question GeorgeUK?

Cheers,

Ian
iankn73

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am

kinda :twisted:

1. - seems fine (except terminology - open workbook1, usually has sheet1, sheet2, sheet3 so 3 worksheets)
2. - fine - but you can only send data from that BA page to 1 workbook, can't you
(not used BA for quite a while so no idea about how the updates have changed it)

I would open BA as you have done, update workbook1 for excel
then
open a 2nd page in that BA instance for the same event, but do the excel update to the 2nd workbook
GeorgeUK

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am

GeorgeUK wrote:Silly question i know, but... do you have 2 pages open in the same instance of BA?

Sorry - had to ask.

Hi GeorgeUK,

I now see what you mean by two pages in the same instance I wasnt aware of the fact that this option was available I now have two seperate pages running and both spreadsheets are now being refreshed. :D

Sorry for wasting anyones time and thanks for your support. I feel such an ass :oops:
iankn73

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:47 am

:lol: no problem Ian

If you don't ask the questions - you won't get the answers.
I'm sure others will be able to refer to this later as a guide.

No need to feel bad about it - there'll be no stopping you now.
GeorgeUK

Postby iankn73 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:04 pm

GeorgeUK wrote::lol: no problem Ian

No need to feel bad about it - there'll be no stopping you now.

Heres hoping GeorgeUK :D
iankn73

Postby MH79 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:12 am

Hi,

I also wasn't aware of the fact that this option ("New Page") was available. This option is better than running multiple instances of BA, of course. Thanks for this reference. Are there any limits in the number of new pages? And can there be a problem with updating data or placing bets from the excel spreadsheets by using a certain number of pages?

I hope you understand my english. I'm sure by visiting this forum i can improve it.

Greetings from germany,
Markus
MH79

Next

Return to Discussion