Excel question 2 - importing external data

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Excel question 2 - importing external data

Postby one cool dog » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:37 pm

I have been jogging along quite nicely since my first post, and am amazed how much I have picked up already. Excel is a handy bit of kit.

Freeze Panes and Conditional Formating are in my vocab now!

However, one things bugs me - for the moment - and that is when I import data from a web query. You may have done this already, and know the trick, if there is one.

Get to the import data stage

go to www.racingpost.co.uk

log yourself in

click cards

choose any meeting

choose one race

click the yellow tick to get race information (all card details go into a grid)

send to Excel and the weights, and some form, comes through as dates. E.g. The weight on the website says 10-12 but in cell is says 10 Dec

Now I know why it is doing it but how do I convert in the easiest fashion to start with. I suspect Macros can be written but I am not quite there yet. Microsoft learning is pretty good, but I can only do a message box with My Macro written on it ! :oops:

All answers appreciated
one cool dog

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Just before you click 'import', click 'options' at the top right. Tick 'disable date recognition' in the box and then 'import'.

You might to do this in a new sheet as the cells may already be formatted to date in any existing sheet.
Ian

Postby one cool dog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Absolutely superb. Have no idea what I want it for but just keeping that upward curve of learning going and I thought there must be a sensible way of doing it.

Downloaded a couple of Betfair sorta things from the Betfair site last night and just had a look. It is about tracking markets.

Many thanks for that. How/what is the best training advice you can give me or the next step, which is complex formulas and macro writing?

I know I have to start a marco with Sub :D
one cool dog

Return to Discussion