Knowing the result of a bet in an Excel shheet

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Knowing the result of a bet in an Excel shheet

Postby mellenec » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:16 am

After a bet has been placed by program in an excel sheet, is there a way to know the result of this bet ( won or lost) ?
mellenec

Re: Knowing the result of a bet in an Excel shheet

Postby Castillo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:16 am

mellenec wrote:After a bet has been placed by program in an excel sheet, is there a way to know the result of this bet ( won or lost) ?

This all depends when Betfair settles the market, with Excel your account Balance is updated when it moves onto the next race from the Quick Pick List.
I used to bet a % of my current Bank in Excel, but if Betfair are very slow in settling markets or there's a Photo Finish, this method of staking wasn't really suitable, so now I used fixed stakes.

Cheers
Castillo
Castillo

Re: Knowing the result of a bet in an Excel shheet

Postby mellenec » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Castillo wrote:
mellenec wrote:After a bet has been placed by program in an excel sheet, is there a way to know the result of this bet ( won or lost) ?

This all depends when Betfair settles the market, with Excel your account Balance is updated when it moves onto the next race from the Quick Pick List.
I used to bet a % of my current Bank in Excel, but if Betfair are very slow in settling markets or there's a Photo Finish, this method of staking wasn't really suitable, so now I used fixed stakes.

Cheers
Castillo

My program automatically places bets with fixed stakes and I was contemplating using variable stakes related with the last bet success.
It could read the updated balance and infer that the last bet was successful or not , but as there is a possibilty that I place bets manually on other races, the read balance would not reflect the true situation from the program 'point of view'.
It would have been nice to know the result of the bet after supplying its reference, but this seems not to be feasible, so I 'll be content with fixed stakes, perhaps completing them manually.
Thank you,
mellenec
mellenec

Postby marin71 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:20 am

When I move on to the next race via the quick pick list I import the fast results page from Sportinglife into my Excel sheet to verify if my last selection won or lost. It's not working for 100% but near that :)
marin71

Postby Fixador » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:47 am

The low budget method :D is to monitor the race to the end , Winners usually drop to odds of 1.01 , this seems to be ok , But if there is a photo finish - or dead heat, or some other significant delay , then it doesnt work ( if using quickpick and automated rollover ). BUT , the clue is 'delay' - so i have a default : If winner isnt clear by a time period after no longer "In Play" - or fails to drop out of "In play" - then presume it has done what you dont want to have done ! This covers the deadheat situation - I hope !

If there is a significant delay - no method exists to resolve the outcome prior to the start of the next race ( if insist on maintaining the 10 min offset between races on different courses in the one quickpick list ) - but correct me if i am wrong ! :o

Ofcourse if the race is significantly delayed in getting underway................ then crap, as the quickpick list ( with automated rollover at a set time offset ) , will drop me deep in it in terms of determining the winner ( generally I expect this in NH season - lousy weather , etc ????)

As 'delay' seems to be the key, then these abnormal situations can be countered , by say running 2 money management schemes at the same time, and likewise runnning 2 quickpick lists , then, the time gap between races becomes 20 mins for each race in each quickpick list and each money management scheme. This would give much longer period for the winner odds to sink to 1.01

Hmmm, that would mean 4 quickpick lists on a saturday !
Fixador

Postby tigergambit » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi,

mellenec, use the last price column. lowest value is the winner - if your horse last price is under 1.2 you can be fairly safe in the assumption that it has won. Normally last price for winner will be 1.01 but not always.

TG
tigergambit

Return to Discussion