Betfair Data

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Betfair Data

Postby knot » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:02 pm

http://data.betfair.com/#null

anyone use these files? when i open a file with excel it cant open all of the file. how do you get around this please?
knot

Postby knot » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:18 pm

http://www.fracsoft.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=111

anyone ever used the Fracsoft files? 59p a race is way to much imo.
knot

Postby Mattmid » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Knot,

I had the same problem and found this macro on the net, on Mr Excel I think it was. Put the macro into a blank sheet and save the sheet with whatever name you want to give it. Then from the sheet run the macro and it will load the betfair data from whatever folder you have it in and it will spread it over however many sheets it needs. Then don't forget to save the sheet again with a different name otherwise you'll have the macro only on the sheet with the betfair data.

Sub run()
Code:

Sub ImportLargeFile()
'Imports text file into Excel workbook using ADO.
'If the number of records exceeds 65536 then it splits it over more than one sheet.

Dim strFilePath As String, strFilename As String, strFullPath As String
Dim lngCounter As Long
Dim oConn As Object, oRS As Object, oFSObj As Object

'Get a text file name
strFullPath = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.csv),*.csv", , "Please selec text file...")

If strFullPath = "False" Then Exit Sub 'User pressed Cancel on the open file dialog
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'This gives us a full path name e.g. C:tempfolderfile.txt
'We need to split this into path and file name
Set oFSObj = CreateObject("SCRIPTING.FILESYSTEMOBJECT")

strFilePath = oFSObj.GetFile(strFullPath).ParentFolder.Path
strFilename = oFSObj.GetFile(strFullPath).Name

'Open an ADO connection to the folder specified
Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION")
oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=" & strFilePath & ";" & _
"Extended Properties=""text;HDR=Yes;FMT=Delimited"""

Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.RECORDSET")

'Now actually open the text file and import into Excel
oRS.Open "SELECT * FROM " & strFilename, oConn, 3, 1, 1
While Not oRS.EOF
Sheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Range("A1").CopyFromRecordset oRS, 65536
Wend

oRS.Close
oConn.Close

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
Mattmid

Postby FatherGapon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 am

Hi,

I have a problem with unzipping the downloaded files from Betfair data; all seem to experience a CRC error and won't unzip. Have either of you experienced this, and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.
FatherGapon

Postby PeteB » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 am

CRC error usually means the download process was bad, and the file you have downloaded isn't exactly the same as the file available for download. So just download the same file again, and you should be alright.

I load the data into MS Access, but it's still huge and difficult to process. Also because it only gives you the first and last time for each price, you can't use it for backtesting, but only for investigating theories about where markets may often be mispriced - e.g. you can answer questions like whether laying the field at particular odds is likely to give profits or losses in the long run.
PeteB

Postby GeorgeUK » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 pm

I wrote a macro to open all the csv and txt files as i was going to work on all the files (took about 10 hours and was over 1GB)

Post 6 I think has everything listed, but as it was renaming files, you may want to read the whole thread :shock:
Excel tries to be helpful and "fix" the dats for you, but sometimes revert it to US instead of UK format. I tried to work around that as best i could.

http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/show ... hp?t=47965
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby GeorgeUK » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:17 pm

EDIT: :evil:
Gave up on trying to get excel to do what i had intended. Was going to try to learn mySQL to develop something better, so i've no answer for what had been my original purpose in making that thread :(

It is quite slow going through the whole process, so i ran it at night and came back to it after i had finished work.
I use the UK operating system so don't know if there is a ny conflict with any others.

George
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Return to Discussion