Handhelds or PDA use with Betfair/Gruss

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:16 am

Don't you have to have a mobile phone contract to use Betfair Mobile ? They send you an SMS which enables you to download the application - how would you be able to get that without a phone number ?

For what it's worth, I have a T-Mobile MDA and have downloaded Betfair Mobile and it's rubbish. Before every screen I get a message asking me if I want to continue due to some security problem. The same message appears using the new no-frills site as well. So I just use Betfair Lite but it's very cumbersome and slow eg. it's abour 5 clicks to put a bet on as you always have to verify your bet. In fact, once the contract is up I'll probably not renew.

Where exactly do you want to use this ? And what sports do you want to bet on in-running ?
Ian

Postby one cool dog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:01 am

Cheers for that Ian. I always presumed Betfair Mobile was a just for phones, but I do like to check everything just in case.

I want to bet in-running on horses, but if it is slow and not helpful, it is not for me. Id be interested know if anyone else has any experience with it.
one cool dog

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:26 am

Forget any notion of doing in-running on the horses using either Betfair Mobile or Lite, they are just not fast enough.
Ian

Postby one cool dog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi

Have you tried doing it? If you have, what network were you on when you tried Betfair Mobile.

When you tried Lite, where did you try using it and what connection?
one cool dog

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm

My god, you're persistent with this, aren't you ?

I don't do in-running betting but wouldn't dream of even attempting it using either BF mobile or lite.

It takes at least 3 secs to submit a bet using either - more like 10 secs using lite, and then you would have the IR delay on top of that.

Also to cancel a bet you have to go into your unmatched bets and delete from there not the market screen.

You can try Betfair Lite from your browser - http://lite.betfair.com/ - but bear in mind that the screens will be a lot slower loading using a phone and the keyboard will be tiny.
Ian

Postby one cool dog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:43 pm

You don't need to answer Ian if you do not want to, and I wouldn't ask so many questions if it was all done in one go. You have not mentioned what network you are on and under what circumstances you tried Lite on, so I have no reference. Your dealings may not have been the same as others, and you might be using a Tesco network rather than something like Vodafone.

The thread was designed to ask people who have used the service and their experiences. Whilst I appreciate your answer in part, the lack of full details makes me ask more questions.
one cool dog

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:27 am

I did say above that it was on the T Mobile network, but I don't really think that the network has anything to do with it. IMO. the software available for phones is just too slow and cumbersome to do any in-running betting.
Ian

Postby PeteB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am

OCD - have you tried betfair lite on your PC? - that will give you a good idea of how it works - and just how many clicks and page loads it takes to do anything - you can them assume that it will be similar but slower on a PDA or phone.

If you think it's usable on the PC, then you can start considering which other gadgets / networks it will work on - but I think you will find that it's not even usable on the PC (except for emergencies)

(As far as I can see there isn't a way of testing betfair mobile unless you have a compatible phone.)
PeteB

Postby Bid » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:22 pm

I have a Nokia N95 on T-Mobile running Betfair Mobile and I find it's pretty good for what I want.

It's OK in-running on slower markets like football and cricket but I would definitely advise against things that change quickly like racing. The refresh it just too slow and this is on 3G. Basically it's good for palcing bets but not really for trading.
Bid

Postby one cool dog » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Many thanks Bid.

Your contribution is greatly appreciated, and I do not think its for me, Mobile that is.

I am not wanting to trade in-running, just lay horses in-running.
one cool dog

Postby throwmeadisc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you my experience of using Betfair through a PDA or mobile phone.

I currently use a HTC Kaiser as my phone and PDA. It is also called various different names depending on which mobile network you get it from, some of its other names are HTC TyTN2, T-Mobile MDA Vario III etc.

This is a review of the phone if you are interested...

I have the T-Mobile version which I use on a Flext contract on which I have web n'walk as well (Unlimited data plan - Which is very important for the amount of data I use).

How I use my PDA for Betfair is in a few different ways.

1. I have Betfair Mobile [www.betfairmobile.com] installed and use it for most of my bet placements.
Pros: Auto refresh, Statements, Quick Navigation. Cons: Not Deposit or Withdraw Facility, Can only place bets in whole pounds, no pence can be entered.

2. I also use Betfair Lite [lite.betfair.com], which is designed to be used for Mobiles and PDA in a WAP browser or PocketIE or equivalent.
Pros: Can bet in Pounds and pence. Nice format to Navigate. Simple to use. Cons: No auto refresh and not as fast to navigate as Betfair Mobile.

2. There is also a NoFrills Betfair site [nofrills.betfair.com]. Which is actually designed for PC's but I use it just to do Deposits and Withdrawals.
Pros: Can make Deposits and Withdrawals. Cons: A bit Slow!

Those three are worth experimenting with and testing yourself. You will soon see the benefits of them all if you try them.

To enhance your experience of the web versions (not Betfair Mobile) futher, I would recommend using Opera Mini which is a Java based Web browser that is just awesome! It's fast and has great features and best of all is free. It's not only great for Betfair (even the full site) [www.betfair.com], but any other websites too. Don't be put off that it's designed for mobiles, try using on your PDA! Here is a link to the Opera Mini website.

And Ian, I know your pain about the NET access thing in Java on your phone! But I have a solution and now I get the message just once now when I start my Java app. Send me a PM and i'll point you in the right direction with some different JAVA software. :D

Oh, another thing, I also use LogMeIn [www.LogMeIn.com] on my PDA to connect to my home PC to check how my Auto Betting is doing at home. It's also FREE and also brilliant! Check it out...

Now, just a little request... If any of you sign up with T-Mobile to get a new monthly contract then please let me recommend you as a friend, then we will both receive £20 of free credit! Woop Woop! Thanks.

Fire away with any questions...

Cheers,

Al

p.s. My phone is not the only phone that can do all of this, but I would recommend something with Windows Mobile and a fairly large screen. Also high speed data like 3G, EDGE, or HSPA and definately a good Data plan.
throwmeadisc

Postby throwmeadisc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 pm

throwmeadisc

Postby one cool dog » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:05 am

Cheers for that. I am sure I will have some questions soon when I read it properly. For me, I want to buy a PDA but be able to bet in-running with it at a course. So I suppose first question, using a PDA and that Opera software, could you bet in-running? I want to lay or back in whole pounds and do not need to deposit or withdraw.

What are my chances and what does that Opera software do best, in your opinion.
one cool dog

Postby throwmeadisc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:58 pm

one cool dog wrote:Cheers for that. I am sure I will have some questions soon when I read it properly. For me, I want to buy a PDA but be able to bet in-running with it at a course. So I suppose first question, using a PDA and that Opera software, could you bet in-running? I want to lay or back in whole pounds and do not need to deposit or withdraw.

What are my chances and what does that Opera software do best, in your opinion.

I wouldn't recommend that it is good and fast enough to do inplay betting because the prices are changing too fast and the quickest refresh you could get would be about a few seconds at best. Plus you are also relient on good network coverage at the course to give you good data speeds. This may also not be possible depending on your location as coverage can be patchy.

I'm not saying it doesn't work just that I don't think it's suitable for inplay betting especially on horses.

Hope that helps.
throwmeadisc

Postby one cool dog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Cheers for taking the time to respond. It is very much appreciated.
one cool dog

Previous

Return to Discussion