How does Excel trigger BA?

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

How does Excel trigger BA?

Postby funky » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:31 am

hi everyone
I know how to do formulas etc with Excel, do some VBA programming with my Access database (which generated Beyer-like speed figures for Australian races which I bet on) so I know my way around my Pc.
But... nowhere on this forum can I find an explanation of how I use Excel to trigger BA?
I can get BA to "write" into Excel but I don't understand what column, or where, I put in whatever it is that BA "reads" to place a bet.

Can someone help me?
thanks

Remco
funky

Postby Mitch » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:19 pm

Column N is for your trigger keyword.
Column O is for odds.
Column P is for stake.

Triggers
BACK submits a back for selection on the same line at odds and stake in O and P
LAY submits a lay for selection on the same line at odds and stake in O and P
LAYFIELD submits a lay for all selections at odds and stake in O and P
CANCEL cancels any unmatched part of any bet ref. you put in Column Q
CLEAR I think this clears columns Q to T, but never used it so not sure

Hope this helps.
Mitch

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:21 pm

Make sure you tick the '"enable triggered betting" option when you get BA to export to a spreadsheet and the trigger stake columns etc come up. They don't show if you export only to excel
Captain Sensible

Postby funky » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks for your help. Hoping to do something with all that!
some ideas I have
- a spreadsheet that "reads" from a column and lays any horses in the current race that have that name, just before race start
- I was also wanting to place automatic "dutching" bets, backing 2, 3 or 4 favourites in a race if certain conditions are met

Is the dutching functionality able (yet?) to be triggered from Excel?

Also - just to save me 5 minutes of testing this myself - will Excel run a VBA routine at the same time as Betfair Trader is "writing" values into the same sheet?

cheers
Remco
funky

Postby Mitch » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:42 am

- will Excel run a VBA routine at the same time as Betfair Trader is "writing" values into the same sheet?

No it won't unfortunately.

The most popular ways round it are to either have the micro triggered by a worksheet event (i.e. when BA 'pastes' info) or on a timer (Application.Ontime).

I personally prefer the Worksheet_Change event handler.
Mitch

Postby funky » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:30 am

Thanks. I've been slaving away today and now have a spreadsheet that has a bit of VBA code that looks up a list of horses, and if any of them appear in the current race, it lays them
the idea being that I can select a bunch of horses to lay, add the days races to the quick pick list, and head off to work / the beach / whatever instead of hanging around my PC all day long! :D
funky

Postby tkp » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:07 pm

Funky - you can run a timer in vba instead of using an excel chane event...

I use one to constantly check if the name of the event has changed --- if it has then I run another sub.
( I use the auto market select in BFT to change the event)

I also use one for automatic scalping (well that is the plan!).

If anyone wants it you can find the code here ----(along with some other great excel code/tips).

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm (which I am not affiliated with in any way)

I've used the "StartTimer" procedure....as I couldn't get the API version to work while the export was going on.

Let us all know how you get on.

tkp
tkp

Return to Discussion