The formula for dutching

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

The formula for dutching

Postby funky » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:26 am

If - like me - you've been wondering how to implement dutching into any triggered betting spreadsheets you have, this thread may help:
http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=4333

The formula I'm using is the one near the bottom of the page:

"Not sure if anyone had given you the answer you needed so here is the formula:

I'll denote capital X the amount you bet on horse X and little x the dividend (not odds) of that horse.

Let A = amount on horse A
Let B & C be the horses you want to save on and b and c their respective dividends.

Then B = (A * c) / ((b*c)-b-c)
And C = (A * b) / ((b*c)-b-c)

Now I'll apply this to a situation where you put $100 on Horse A, Horse B has dividend $10 and Horse C has dividend $6.

Amount on B = (100 * 6) / ((60)-10-6)
= 600 / 44
= $13.64 rounded

Amount on C = (100 * 10) / ((60)-10-6)
= 1000 / 44
= $22.73 rounded

So the total outlay is $136.37 and the return if B wins is $136.40 and if C wins $136.38. The difference between the outlay and return is due to rounding.

I hope this helps."
funky

The formula for dutching

Postby funky » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 am

My previous post was wrong. Those formulae will calculate stakes on horses B and C so that the profits, if B or C wins, will cover the stake you've put on horse A.

What I was after was a "proper" dutching calculator which would calculate, if possible, the stakes so that the same profit was achieved no matter which of your picks hit the line first.

After an afternoon trawling the net, dissecting someone elses spreadsheet (which didn't calculate it accurately..) I have found the answer on a file posted here: (bottom of page)
http://www.flatstats.co.uk/ppp/viewtopic.php?p=5598

If you have some Excel skills you should be able to work out how its done. I have a modified, easier on the eyes one available if anyone wants it, but remember, no credits to me.

Does anyone know how I can post a file on here?
funky

Postby GaryRussell » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 am

There is no facility for posting files, but if you email it to my I will put a link up.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Re: The formula for dutching

Postby thunderfoot » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 am

funky wrote:My previous post was wrong. Those formulae will calculate stakes on horses B and C so that the profits, if B or C wins, will cover the stake you've put on horse A.

What I was after was a "proper" dutching calculator which would calculate, if possible, the stakes so that the same profit was achieved no matter which of your picks hit the line first.

After an afternoon trawling the net, dissecting someone elses spreadsheet (which didn't calculate it accurately..) I have found the answer on a file posted here: (bottom of page)
http://www.flatstats.co.uk/ppp/viewtopic.php?p=5598

If you have some Excel skills you should be able to work out how its done. I have a modified, easier on the eyes one available if anyone wants it, but remember, no credits to me.

Does anyone know how I can post a file on here?

I may be wrong, but I understand 'Dutching' to be similar to 'Arbitrage', the difference being that on 'Dutching' you only bet on, say, the best 3 fancied runners in the hope that one of them wins thus giving you a return; 'Arbitrage' you bet on ALL runners, so regardless which one wins you get a return, albeit typically only about 1% to 3%.

You may find my free EXCEL based 'Arbitrage' calculator does the trick to calculate amounts to place on 'Dutching' as well as 'Arbitrgae'. :wink:

http://www.thunderfoot.f2s.com/betting/
thunderfoot

Postby funky » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:27 am

hey
Hmm thats different from my understanding of it:

arbitrage = taking advantage of fluctuations in odds so that you can back at one price and lay at a lower price, or vice versa

dutching = backing multiple selections with varying stakes in such a way that the profit will be the same in the event one of the selections wins.

Thunderfoot - nice excel files on your site, by the way.
funky

Return to Discussion