Running Excel and BA via a remote server

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Running Excel and BA via a remote server

Postby Fixador » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 am

Guys, i dont know what the heck i am talking about here - so i am looking for ideas/pointers. :roll:

To explain : say i was on dial up, but i wanted my Excel workbook to run from a high reliability connection - soooo, i think i would be looking for a server to rent space on......... the idea being i log into the server daily to connect to BA and start my workbook( workbook is stored on the remote server ), and then leave it unattended to the days events, then afterwards log in again to the server to shutdown BA connection and the workbook

Does this make any sense to anyone ????? :oops:
Fixador

Postby laffo16 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Remote desktop connection, is the simplist method i know. Search google for a "free remote desktop connection" software, give it a try with some computers on a LAN, then install on said server computer. Lag will be greater over the ineternet (esp on 56k hehe) but will be fine for launching the programs you need. However, said server will need to be switched on for the remote software to be available, so server uptime generally 100% unless you can switch it on in the morning.

note:
windows xp / vista comes with built in remote desktop, but im personally not fond of it. good luck
laffo16

Postby Fixador » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:00 am

Hello laffo16, yes , i understand you about the software "free remote desktop connection" - its the actual remote server machine i dont understand ........... i suppose its - where do i find one ?

I tried 'googling' for remote servers - the stuff that came up, was pretty incomprehensable :roll: What should i be looking for ?
Fixador

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:13 am

This is probably what you are looking for http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby laffo16 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 am

alternatively, you could try VM hosting from canada
http://www.pokerinspector.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3399
laffo16

Postby Fixador » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks Gary / laffro16 for your input

I found the following guys

http://www.memset.com/dedicated_miniser ... 77d8e6dfa2

the base price £20 /month+ £5 for O/S/month

But as soon as i started asking questions (- and betraying my ignorance ! )they upped the price to £40 !
Fixador

Postby Fixador » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:26 pm

I couldnt get a server sorted out b4 going on hols - and wanted to keep keep BA / Excel monitoring going through out .

So i ended up leaving my home pc running , and accessing it daily from hotel ( sad git aint I ! ) via gotomypc.com on a free 30 day trial

The only problems with this was (1) the hotel monitor was an 'orrid crt job - really harsh on the eyes ! and (2) when rebooting the home pc - it was a bit differcult to guess when to disconnect from the connection to the home pc . So, the home pc got 'stuck' in the reboot process - and i was unable to reconnect via gotomypc

I got 5 days out of 8 - which is fine .

The home pc cleared / sorted itself out just by switching it off at the wall plug , and back on again.

THIS IS A GOOD EXCUSE TO LEAVE THE MISSUS BEHIND WHEN I GO ON HOLIDAY !
Fixador

Postby methodman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Fixador

I do something similar but use Logmein because they do a basic version for free. It may be worth having a look at.
methodman

Return to Discussion