Stop Loss In Running

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Stop Loss In Running

Postby alun » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:41 pm

4.35 wolves today

laid Schelm at 10.0 stop loss at 9.0

no stop bet was ever attempted despite the fact that it traded at 5 and lower.

thought i'd flag it up.
alun

Postby chaser » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Alun

As no-one has replied to your post, I thought I would suggest what I think happened.
As you know, in-running odds move very fast. I think in this case the odds dropped from 11.0 to less than 9.0 in one movement, so your stop loss set at 9.0 was never triggered.

Unfortunately the Stop Loss functionality in Betting Assistant is a weakness of the program compared with other programs. For some months now, several of us have suggested improvements (see other Stop Loss topics in forum), which I had hoped would have been implemented by now, but I guess patience is a virtue!

chaser
chaser

Postby GaryRussell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 am

Yes, we are taking note of your posts and a new manual stop loss feature is being worked on at present which will allow to input specific odds to fire the bet at rather than an offset. You will also be able to set the stop loss to be triggered by last traded price, best lay odds or best back odds.

At present stop losses will not be fired if the odds have halved or doubled so a big move in either direction can cause the stop loss to never trigger. The idea was to avoid massive liabilities, for example if you backed at evens would you really want the stop loss to fire at 50s?
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby chaser » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi Gary,
Really pleased to hear that you are working on the Stop Loss function as I thought it might have been side-lined with all the other tweaks and fixes that you are doing.
As I see it, a stop loss is only relevant where you've placed a Lay bet - say Lay bet of £20 at odds of 6.0, where your potential liability is £120, and if the event/race appears to be going against you, you want to 'cut your losses' in some way - maybe Back £20 at 3.0 to halve the liability, or even Back £40 at 3.0.
If you start off with a Back bet then you know your max. liability is only your stake.
If you can give us the option to input our own Odds and Stake, and the ability to Cancel the Stop Loss in-play ( if the initial Lay bet looks like being successful, and the stop loss is no longer required), then this adds a valuable flexibility to the function.
The real danger of playing in running in a fast moving market like a horse race, is if the odd 'jump' the stop loss and it is not triggered ( which appears to have happened in Alun's case).

regards Chaser
chaser

Postby mellenec » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:22 pm

This is exactly what I am longing for in BA.
When will it be implemented?
mellenec

Return to Discussion