Betfair New Data Request Charges

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Betfair New Data Request Charges

Postby maddatt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:22 am

Hi All
Ive just read that Betfair are going to charge users who use a very low refresh rate on multiple markets from the 14th April......WTF

You can read more about this change here, in section four: -

http://content.betfair.com/aboutus/?pro ... %20Charges

Madat
maddatt

Postby GaryRussell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:31 am

We are aware of this development and will be releasing an update which will track your requests, display the count and provide the option to throttle all requests to 20 per second to avoid this charge. We will also include the transaction counting facility in this release.

It has also been discussed on this thread http://gruss-software.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1407
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Might be worth you sending an email to all BA subscribers Gary detailing the changes and any upcoming changes to the prog plus ways to reduce their usage.

Probably best to be proactive on this one as there are probably loads of your users who never log into this or the main forum. It'll show your making changes and also hopefully stop loads of irate emails when the charges do come in cos a few windows open is liely to get into he charging brackets and the charges are set ridiculously high. Anyone with badly written routines is likely to wake up with an empty balance fairly swiftly.
Captain Sensible

Postby Dai_Young » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:23 pm

According to bot on the bf forum (who I believe works for betfair) these charges will be flagged up in the period before April 14th. That is, they will appear as charges on your account but will be refunded. So we will get an idea of how this might impact on us before the charges start for real.
Dai_Young

Postby GaryRussell » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:Might be worth you sending an email to all BA subscribers Gary detailing the changes and any upcoming changes to the prog plus ways to reduce their usage.

Probably best to be proactive on this one as there are probably loads of your users who never log into this or the main forum. It'll show your making changes and also hopefully stop loads of irate emails when the charges do come in cos a few windows open is liely to get into he charging brackets and the charges are set ridiculously high. Anyone with badly written routines is likely to wake up with an empty balance fairly swiftly.

We will make everyone aware through the program by making them accept they understand the changes before continuing to use the program and also send an email. We were informed by Betfair that this charge will affect a very small minority of our users so as far as we are concerned as long as we update our program by mid March we are covered.

I think the impact is being grossly overestimated at this stage, but time will tell.
Last edited by GaryRussell on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby Dai_Young » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 pm

You can email datausage@betfair.com and they will give you a detailed breakdown on your past usage and whether these charges will effect you.
Dai_Young

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:50 pm

I'd second that Dai, I got my reply back quite quickly ( 3 hours) and wouldn't have incurred charges due to the offset being applied. Seems they're all geared up with the data and will send it back asap.

Their records show I went over the limits almost 500,000 times in the last week and I rarely have more than one standard window open !!. The commission (paid/implied com) more than covered the likely charge on each day but for anyone betting in small amounts trying out strategies etc I'd send your email straight away just to check.

I think as long as you're betting/churning over comms for them most of us should be OK but if I hadn't bet/churned over comms on Wednesday I'd have ended up paying them £175 for the privilage of watching their markets.

It'd be interesting to see what usage other BA users are hitting
Captain Sensible

Return to Discussion