Newbies - Where to start

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Newbies - Where to start

Postby danjuma » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:04 pm

A lot of newbies ask for help for someone to basically construct for them a spreadsheet to do this and that (without even attempting to learn the basics). Though, some of these requests can be simple and straight forward (at least to start with, until further requests for additions and modifications are made), people just don't have the time to start constructing a fully working spreadsheet from start to finish every time someone new wants an automated spreadsheet.
There are many kind and helpful forum members here who will gladly assist you with specific request in relation to a spreadsheet. Also, I strongly believe in the saying "give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish, and you feed him for life.
When I first came across Gruss BA, I had no knowledge of excel and VBA, but gradually, I am now able to do most things myself, with help from the kind members here when I get stuck with a specific formula/code.

What I am trying to say is that in the long run, it would be more beneficial to put in a bit of effort to learn the basics, and then ask for help when you get stuck with a particular bit of the spreadsheet. There is good link in GT forum that shows you the basic steps (how to link excel to BA and construct a simple spreadsheet bot) http://www.geekstoy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2000
Also, spend a bit of time (doesn't take long) to learn writing simple formulae in excel. There also a brilliant forum on Mr Excel, where you can ask general excel/vba related questions, and the members are always willing to help http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/index.php
danjuma

Return to Discussion