Excel Triggered Betting - Macro/VBA Help Offered

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

my explanation

Postby tkp » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 pm

Here's my attempt at a simple explanation of the triggered betting from BFT.

You choose your market in BFT.

Then you export it to Excel - with Triggered betting enabled.
(MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SHEET OPEN TO EXPORT TO).

You now have most of the data from BFT in the Excel sheet.

What you can do now is set up simple triggers in column I.

To do this the most basic way is to the the Excel function =IF

An example:

If you want to fire a BACK bet off of £5.00 at 1.01 when the runner in row 5 got to the price of 1.05...you would put the following in cell I5.

=IF(F5=1.05,"BACK","not yet")

Obviously this doesn't include the odds or stake - so you need to put them in 1st.

So in O5 we put the value 1.01
In P5 we put the value 5

-----
Now when the value of F5 (which is the back odds of the 1st runner) hits 1.05 the cell I5 will change value to BACK and BFT will make the back bet for you.

This is the SIMPLEST explanation of how it works - please try it out with TRIGGERED BETTING NOT ENABLED - because as a working model this could give you plenty losses.

Does this help saktigb ?
tkp

Postby saktigb » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Yes thanks very much, anything else like this would much appreciate.
saktigb

Postby sisyphus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 am

I have had Gary"s software for some time but have not used it.I have just become interested in triggered betting but do not have Excel , so would be of no use.
However I notice welldone software has the programme market feeder pro 3 and if you go to that site they have a section on using Excel for triggered betting with examples. It might be of some use.
sisyphus

excel

Postby soccergeez » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:13 pm

I know there are a few Excel geniuses on here so I would be really really grateful if someone could at least let me know if the following is possible using Betfair Trader & the trigggered betting function.

1. I would like to be able to manually back a selection on certain markets where I think the price is likely to move (not in-running) and then leave Betfair Trader to close out the position automatically once a certain price has been reached/ amount of profit made. However it must also be able to recognise if the price has moved against me and immediately trade out for the smallest possible loss all over if this happens.

2. I think this may be possible now Betfair have included the current score in their "upgraded" interface but I have no idea how to do it. I have a spreadsheet for football betting on the over/under 2.5 goals market in running with back & lay prices in it. At the moment I manually enter how much time has elapsed in the match & depending on the score at the time I use the relevant cell on the sheet to tell me what the prices should be. Is it possible to automate all this now so i could import the clock from Betfair Trader & depending on the score the program could select the correct prices from the cells on the sheet & automatically place a bet if there is a value bet to be had?

As I said if anyone could even let me know if these are possible even if they don't know how to code it on Excel I would really appreciate it.
soccergeez

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 pm

soccergeez, can't see any reason why it can't be done. Haven't seen the new interface with the scores included so not sure if that'd be brought across by Betfair Trader. I'll have a look next time there's an in running game on. Otherwise I imagine it'd be simple enough to pull the scores from a web query on every refresh from some update livescore site.

Garys program logs the time from the event start as a default in cell E2 whether that'd be accurate enough for your calcs I can't say. You'd have to take into account delays in kick off, extra time etc. But from an excel point of view it's easy enough to play around with that figure and use that alongside any spreadsheet you've already got to calc the prices.
Captain Sensible

Postby soccergeez » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:24 pm

Excellent, thank you captain Sensible for your reply, most appreciated! The time being 3/4 mins out is ok for me i think so thats excellent news - as long as they update the scores properly on the site I should be ok there. Do you think my other issue is also possible to do via Gary's product?
soccergeez

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Not sure which the other issue is :).

It's easy enough to leave your current spreadsheet for prices on say sheet2 of the workbook and trigger from sheet1 using data from that sheet. Closing balances based on ticks or % profit is easy enough to do with a couple of if statements. I have simple spreadsheets that lay and then back back based on ho much is matched.

All the figures are exported to excel for what you need i.e. stake matched odds etc so to automate the program to either lay or back based on a matched bet ( liability ) is a simple enough calculation to do.

Where do they put the score on the site ? Is it in the markets title ?
Captain Sensible

Postby soccergeez » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:40 pm

Yes my other issue was whether I could set up some Excel functions to back/lay once a certain amount of profit had been reached and if I could implement a stop loss if the market turned against me. One more question if you dont mind? Now i know its achievable are there any Excel templates that you are aware of to help me do this sort of thing, or a list of codes or anything which may help me. I only have a basic knowledge of Excel and don't really know where to start!
Anyway thanks for your help i really do appreciate it as i was considering buying a bot to do this, if i can do it through here it will obviously save me a fair bit of money!
soccergeez

Postby soccergeez » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Sorry,

The score is located next to where it says CHANGE Express view/Full view once the match goes in-play.
soccergeez

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:59 pm

soccergeez, I had a look at the Stevenage game last night and even though the scores displayed on the betfair market it doesn't come across with betfair trader so you'd need to pull the scores off something like http://www.sportinglife.com/football/li ... sktop.html and just use an excel vlookup function to pull the scores down.

Problem with that is if betfair unsuspend the market when a goals scored and it hasn't been updated on sportinglife in time your calcs will be wildly out and it'll assume your getting massive value when you're getting skinned.

The calcs and stop losses shouldn't be hard to put in place as all the info comes across except the score :(.

Theres some templates on the site under sample triggered excel sheets. I don't use them cos I'm not that clued up with VBasic and usually just stick in lots of if statements to trigger my sheets.

Lots of code on the site though - Always best to get an exact idea of how you want the final sheet to be before starting or you'll continually be adding bits here and there. Decide what you want it to do exactly and I'll be happy to help with the coding if I can. Need to ensure you cover things like when you want it to bet , are you taking odds available or setting odds, do you want it to kick off again when a bets been closed for a profit/loss or kick off every 5 mins. Do you need it cancel existings bets if they're not taken and how long to wait before cancelling. Do you want variable stakes, are you betting in ticks or just closing as soon as a profits available.

I think your main problem will be that you need a reliable source for the scores.
Captain Sensible

Postby soccergeez » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 pm

Captain, Thanks for offering to help me, thats really good of you. In terms of using my spreadsheet automatically I am going to put that on hold for the moment after your discovery about the scores on Betfair. I looked into using other score sites at the start of the season & all the ones i looked at over a period of about a month contained at least 2/3 errors which would have cost me a lot of money.

What I am really interested in doing now, and if you could help it would be great, is setting up a sheet as I mentioned before whereby I could place a back/lay on a team one or two days before a match and then let BT manage my position for me so I don't have to watch it the whole time. I would like to be able to set it to take a profit after a certain amount of ticks, trade out instantly for a small loss if the market goes against me and if possible take whatever profit i have before the set amount of ticks is reached if the market starts going the opposite way again.

Any help you could offer would be fantastic.
soccergeez

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:44 pm

Happy to help but my VB excel knowledge is very limited which is probably what you'd need to know for monitoring the direction of where the markets going.

Most of the stuff I've done is simple calcs like scalping overrounds, backing/laying from lists etc. Predicting which way the market is going is probably quite complicated because you don't want to overreact when a small change occurs for no particular reason.

There's a spreadsheet on the site

http://www.gruss-software.co.uk/Excel_S ... signal.xls

which predicts which way a price is going by monitoring moving averages. Don't know how useful that would be for soccer though as I'm sure the sheet would fill up over a day just logging the market.

I did a spreadsheet that layed a horse then backed it straight back when the bet was taken and the price was higher and carried on in a loop. I didn't use it too much and never got round to adding stop losses because it was a loop and always had to be stopped or balanced manually just before the off.

The calcs for scalping/ticks are simple enough to do it's just the predicting which way a market is realistically going thats the hard bit.
Captain Sensible

Postby soccergeez » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 pm

Scalping overrounds - I was just thinking about that the other day but quickly dismissed it, I presume there are loads of bots doing that now so little point in doing it any more I would guess?

I think my post was a little unclear - I don't need Excel to predict which way the market is likely to go - although that sheet was interesting, thanks for posting that. I am reasonably confident that by getting into the market early enough i can predict for myself which way the price is likely to move all I actually want from Excel is the stop loss in case I have predicted wrongly so I can quickly exit the market without being there if necessary & likewise a way to take the amount of profit I am after from the market without having to sit in front of the computer for hours!
soccergeez

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 am

If you're laying a bet and it's taken wouldn't it be easier to just stick in the other bet at the same time.

If you want to lay a bet waiting on the lay side then back it back dependant on how much is taken at higher odds to ensure a profit is easy enough to do. You can always add some sort of stop loss in there. Probably easier to see some spreadsheet then decide how you want it to run because you need to decide whether to take the odds available or stick the bet in higher expecting the market to get there. I'll Pm you with a sheet I did a while back and see if it can be amended for what you need as it'll be easier to understand.
Captain Sensible

Previous

Return to Discussion