Calling Gary or any other very clever programmers

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Calling Gary or any other very clever programmers

Postby one cool dog » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Just a quick question, what did you create your application with?

I'l look a right wally here for trying, but I mean is it something like Foxpro?
one cool dog

Postby one cool dog » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:55 pm

I had a quick look and I think its Visual Basic
Can anyone confirm? :D
one cool dog

Postby PeteB » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 pm

VB.NET if I remember from earlier posts

Good choice for this - makes the API and Excel integration easy

(C#.NET would be an equally good choice - this is what I'm building my API app in - I was amazed how easy it was to get the base-level API-interaction working - wsdl.exe generates all the classes for you, and it didn't take much code at all to start getting data back - trying to do this in the last langauages I used commercially (C++ & java) would have been much more of a nightmare. I'm using VSTO for my own Excel integration - saves having to do any nasty COM stuff, and also for Excel-side code - avoids hateful hateful VBA!)
PeteB

Postby BlueBoy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 pm

PeteB

Read your post with interest - wouldnt mind trying myself to develop something.

What compilers, assemblers etc would I have to buy and whatt would be a rough cost

Thanks
BlueBoy

Postby GaryRussell » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:58 am

The program is written in VB.Net and it compiles nicely in Visual Basic Express 2005 which is absolutely free at the moment so I would recommend you visit www.microsoft.com and get a copy.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby PeteB » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:10 am

Seconded

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ - you can get a free version of visual studio covering a single language. It doesn't really matter which language you choose as they compile to the same thing - choose according to what you've done before. I prefer C#.NET as it is more like C++, but if you have VB / VBA experience then VB.NET will be easier.

If you are using C# then let me know as I have some notes and code I could share that would help get you started.

This is worth doing if you have something very specific that you want to do that isn't currently provided by any other software, or would be impossible to do in Excel combined with Gary's program. If you want to emulate Gary's program, then you have a LOT of work ahead of you.

(VSTO which gives you the office integration does cost (around £500, or cheaper for an academic license) but gets you a full version of Visual Studio - I need it for other work I am doing, and wouldn't have bought it specifically for this)
PeteB

Postby BlueBoy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:30 am

Many thanks gary
BlueBoy

Postby one cool dog » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:47 pm

Cheers for all of that.

I have no intention of doing my own as I have no idea what to do, and Gary's can't be improved on imo. Just needed to know for reference.
one cool dog

Return to Discussion