Subscription service

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Subscription service

Postby pugs » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:31 am

Hello Gary

I think what you have proposed is an excellent idea, you have been a friend to the Betfair user for several years now providing us with several pieces of software that frankly most of us would be lost without, and to have you full time for support and further development of your software will surely see the Assistant become the ultimate Betfair interface.

I for one would be intrested in the response you had to your survey, and your timeframe for going full time

Best regards Ken
pugs

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 am

58% have voted yes so far which is very encouraging. You know it makes sense :wink:

I will be making a decision at the end of the week.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby excel_toy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:11 am

Hey Gary,

I don't blame you for going "pro" with your software - you've put a lot of work into it over the years - and it's as good if not better than most on the market.

What are the proposals you have for enhancements to the software if it were to be a subscription based product?

Would you be more open to implementing subscribers' suggestions ?

Have you considered a free basic version and a "pro" version ?

If it goes subscription would you allow people to charge for vba development for excel add-ons or to sell excel based products which interface with your product ?

Cheers

excel_toy
excel_toy

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:28 am

What survey?
What post was this on? I missed it :(
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:27 pm

What are the proposals you have for enhancements to the software if it were to be a subscription based product?
Comprehensive help files because a lot of users are put off by the lack of these.
Triggered betting within the program as well as through Excel (thinking of some sort of custom language of my own creation)
Stop loss
.... plus there are loads of suggestions I just haven't had time to implement

Would you be more open to implementing subscribers' suggestions ?
I always have been, just haven't had the time.

Have you considered a free basic version and a "pro" version ?
I think the price we would charge is cheap enough, if I was to release a basic version there is a danger we wouldn't make enough money to give up our day jobs!

If it goes subscription would you allow people to charge for vba development for excel add-ons or to sell excel based products which interface with your product ?
Of course, they would still need the program and therefore need to subscribe!

Gary & Mark
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:31 pm

GeorgeUK wrote:What survey?
What post was this on? I missed it :(

I added a survey screen to version 0.99q which should have appeared when you first opened the program. It explained my proposal and asked you to vote yes or no. Did the message not appear? Are you you using the API version, because I only included it in this version.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby excel_toy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Cheers Gary.

I know you have always implemented suggestions - time willing - that's one reason why the app is so good.(along with your skills)

I was really asking if you would still do this but more readily - if you were full time on it. But I suppose if there were 2 of you full time then I guess the answer is yes.

Does the current version use the free api or the full api ? Would the the pro version use the full api (if not already)?

Cheers

et
excel_toy

Postby GeorgeUK » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:08 pm

GaryRussell wrote:I added a survey screen to version 0.99q which should have appeared when you first opened the program. It explained my proposal and asked you to vote yes or no. Did the message not appear? Are you you using the API version, because I only included it in this version.

Thanks Gary - have been working on excel stuff and not actively gambled for a while. Haven't accessed BA for about a fortnight. Will do tonight.

thanks
GeorgeUK

Postby doubled » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Gary,

More than happy to pay a subscription for this tremendous application. I actually use the non API version on a daily basis and would be keen for that to be maintained. Can you confirm if the proposed subscription would include that facility.

Cheers
doubled

Postby Village » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:04 pm

What people say in surveys and what they subsequently do aren't always the same thing. If I were you, I'd wait to see how many do subscribe before handing my notice in. This might be harder work initially, but could be less stressful in the long run, and you can always take a well deserved break when you have given up the 9 to 5! :wink:
Village

Postby alrodopial » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Hi,
For me the correct question in survey would have been:
'If you are using the software EVERYDAY WHITH REAL MONEY, are you willing to pay a subscription .... ? ' and from those who will answer 'yes' i will count much less.

For many of us your program is a 'toy', is the 'way' which give us the joy of creation, creation using excel. 'Place a bet if A1>A2... 'conditions WE create and we stand to loose money from them (the joy-exitment of gambling using our creations-ideas). This "search" for the right conditions, for profitable conditions will defendly last for long.
Having this in mind and if you go for the subscription a 'basic' version would be OK for me (just recording odds ?) before i go for the pro version (after a long time).
alrodopial

Postby Paulp » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:57 am

for some of us where the programme currently stands is more than satisfactory, correction excellent!

I would suggest that you leave the 0.99 where it stands and then offer something better for those who want it.

You always said earlier that it was your intention to leave it as a discretionary payment software and most people recognise that; and the tone of the majority of comments bears this out.

I do this for fun and not a living so a one off payment would be OK, monthly subscription probably not!
Paulp

Postby pugs » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:07 am

There will be many people for and against a subscription service for many different reasons, and rightly so, and in no way was my original post an attempt to influence anyone anymore than this is, perhaps if Gary does go down the subscription route he may consider a one off payment for the Trader with a small yearly fee that reflects its upkeep. If this two tier service is feasible and would be your preference then let him know.

My own personal choice is to go down the subscription route because currently the Assistant (as excellent as it is) is not my choice interface, sounds daft i know but i truly believe with Garys skills and given the time the Assistant will become the ultimate Betfair interface sooner rather than later.

Either way its good and important that people do be honest so Gary knows exactly where he stands.

Regards to all.
pugs

Postby Castillo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:44 am

I have the upmost respect for Gary in his hard work developing what is an excellent product and of course providing it free of charge to the public for such a long time. I can appreciate Gary’s frustration on not having the time to develop his product and new ideas he wishes to implement.

I gamble for fun, I’ve lost some and won some…but more on the losing side :roll:
I predominately use Gary’s software for the interface with excel. I have had so much enjoyment of creating trading spreadsheets and learning along the way and thinking up new ideas on methods to trade. What I’m trying to say is I only use a small amount of Gary’s program features mainly the interface to excel and the market list to change between markets. It’s enabled me to create a trading spreadsheet, set up the markets and then I’m able to walk away, I suppose you could call it an excel bot. I do not use the ladder interface, tick offset, fill or kill features as I do not have the money or correct discipline to trade by those methods. At least with excel I can bet with pennies and actually see some of my ideas and programming work occasionally :D

If Gary decides to go down a subscription route, I wish him the very best of luck. It would be nice if Gary still maintains a VERY basic core version for the fun punters and then a Pro Version for subscribers who wish to use all the extra features currently developed and any enhancements made in the future.

Cheers
Castillo
Castillo

Postby GeorgeUK » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 am

Same for me Castillo - only use the BA's excel feature and even then, only when i am testing something i have researched. Still not found anything :lol:

For me, i might use the subscription, but probably only a month here or there when i have something i want to test and think i have it set up properly.

Gary may also need to look into tax and whether he needs to register as an actual company
(no idea how that stuff works)
And if he needs a merchant id for subscription services etc.
(glanced at this recently for someone and it's quite a boggling area. Apart from paypal which is not the most reliable, some are quite expensive)
Hopefully Gary will be able to develop BA as he wants, but also hope he gets enough subscriptions.

I've been trying to make money on Betfair for some time now and failed. If those using the BA are not making profit, the subscriptions may decrease over time. Hopefully not, but hope Gary and his brother don't put all their eggs in one basket.

Good luck with whatever you decide guys.
Scary taking the jump, but i'm sure you'll succeed if this goes forward.
GeorgeUK

Next

Return to Discussion