Subscription service

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Postby Jean Luc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Happy to subscribe. BA is excellent and I don't expect anyone to work hard and keep providing updates for no reward other than our thanks.

I hope you develop a good business for yourself.

Jean Luc
Jean Luc

Postby robbi100 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:18 pm

yeah, agree with pugs,

we're all waiting to see what will be next, wathever you decide we'll be happy, to save a few pounds or to play with a better toy :D, just keep the non-api, BF api isn't that reliable tonight...
robbi100

Postby waynethebrayn » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:42 pm

I would just like to add my tuppence worth (its all I can afford), having just joined the forum and using BA for about a month.

I think the software is fantastic, and thanks to Gary for providing it for free. However as I only trade (gamble?) with pennies at the moment I voted against the subscription option (aren't I selfish?).

In the event that my pennies turn into tens or hundreds of pounds per month then I would of course change my mind but I think that this is a long way off.

Of course the decision is up to Gary at the end of the day, it's his baby and I don't blame him at all for trying to make a go of it commercially, and I wish him the best whatever he decides.
waynethebrayn

Postby pugs » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:09 pm

waynethebrayn

Selfish??? I would say more like honest and supportive.

The worst thing we could do right now is pledge our financial support and not deliver. Its a huge step for Gary & Mark and the very least we can do is let them know exactly where they stand.

gl in your trading (gambling)
pugs

Postby bw » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:48 am

Hello all,

Although this is my first post, I have been a lurker on this forum for a year or so
and have learnt a lot with regards to excel vba etc.
There are a lot of helpful people on here and there is a great sense of community which I hope continues.

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Gary for making his software free to use up until now.
Although I mainly use it for the excel features, I have no qualms about paying a subscription
and would like to wish Gary much success in the future and look forward to future developments.

I think we are about to enter a new era with regards to the betting assistant and feel we should
support Gary in any way we can.

Good luck for the future

8)
bw

keep in mind that

Postby osiemh » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Hello,

I found out about BA only a few weeks ago, so I didnt have a chance to use it extensivly. I was very positevly suprised that such a great software is offered for free.

Anyway I think that you shold keep in mind that there are two groups of people using BA. pro traders who use the software on a daily basis to generate profit. None of those will mind to give a small percent of their profit for the developmemnt of BA.

however what about the people who use BA experimenting with excel spreadsheets and triggerng tactics?

I voted no. I make no profits with BA. I very much apprecaite Gary's work and commitment however BA won't be worth the £5 monthly suscription for me. I think there should be a free version allowing the development of excel spreadsheets.
osiemh

Postby pugs » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Slightly off topic but.....

Recently i was looking for some software that i could experiment with Excel spreadsheets and triggering tactics. I found a programme that i thought even i could understand and duly paid £200 pound for it. This programme when launched opens up with a market selection and when i select a race it obtains all the data for that race from the API and puts it in an Excel sheet.

My question is...... is this what BA does???
pugs

Postby thunderfoot » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm not surprised that this piece of software will be becoming a subscription service. Gary has to 'blame' himself for this (due to the many followers and success of this application :wink: )

One thing I would like to say though, could there be a free 'read only' version and a subscription 'transactional' version? I, like one or two others, like to 'experiment' with developing EXCEL based 'bots' so the 'read only' version would suit my needs :wink:

Missed the poll myself!!!!
thunderfoot

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:45 am

thunderfoot wrote:One thing I would like to say though, could there be a free 'read only' version and a subscription 'transactional' version? I, like one or two others, like to 'experiment' with developing EXCEL based 'bots' so the 'read only' version would suit my needs :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion. All new users will get a free 30 days trial. A free read only version is something we will definitely consider.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

paying for BA part 2

Postby robin09 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:55 am

hi all

i feel a free BA should be available as a basic version and more advanced costing more that way on trying the basic version people may go for the advanced version. i also feel that if people are paying then somewere along the line if they have good ideas they should be tried to be implemented ie a resubmitting your bet in running so you can go out leave pc do it for u and even smart bets so you get profit if win or lose.. i am using fairbot which is another good program . i have been a follower of BA from the beginning and will always want it on my system. its always handy to have more than one software in case ones playing up that day. i think its time betfair sorted the 3 sec refresh rate out alot can happen in 3 secs they owe it to the betting public.. thats my words for the day .... one more thing before i go if BA had a basic free version then people new to betfair would be better to use it before advancing because not everyone pc minded.. it dont seem that long ago im sure i remember reading on the forum BA would never be charged for. im not complaining i do not expect anything for nothing ..cheers guys for the good n the bad input to my post. i have got my ear plugs in so go for it. hey george you joined same month same year as me november 2005... just noticed BA is now a 30 day trial im on a time limit yikes my thoughts are i will probably be saying bye after the 30 days guess 1 member out of about 750 wont be missed take care all and may your pockets grow. life goes on as i will continue to search and trial new software throughout the net adios a dissapointed guinea pig
robin09

Postby pugs » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:54 pm

robin09

I agree with your point of view 100% There should be several different basic interfaces provided free of charge so Betfair users can select which ever one suits their needs....But

Who should we expect to provide us with these interfaces????

Betfair are the ones who make millions out of us every year, not Gary or Mark.

What if we all said to Gary and Mark, "no thank you to subscription but i still want to use your basic version free of charge so expect you to maintain the Assistant, oh and the Trader, and the scripts, and this forum, oh and lets not forget the website, all in your spare time, at your own expense, and with no reward.

Betfair charge us (indirectly) a hell of a lot more than £5 per month for using their interface, so how can i (we) possibly begrudge Gary & Mark such a pittance, and lets not forget how good this product is that's why we use it in preference to the native interface.

robin09, if you want to lobby Betfair for alternative "free" software i will back you 100% And please don't think i'm having a go at you because i'm not, i totally agree with you looking at it from that side of the fence, but we do need to look at it from both sides of the fence.

Best regards and gl
pugs

to pugs n all

Postby robin09 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:40 am

pugs if Gary n Mark offer a free basic version, im sure gary n mark will make enuff off BA advanced to cover BA basic and think of it this way BA basic would be a mere stepping stone to BA advanced so their hard work would still get rewarded..
im sure they dont need you to plug their software Gary n Marks software is up there with the best but being honest i use other software and keep BA open cos its got agreat refresh rate if u get in trouble in running. Only reason i dont use it fully it hasnt got the features i want to use at the moment so hence i wouldnt subscribe at this moment in time maybe look to subscribing when later on. i am not putting the software down in anyway it is a great machine and Gary has produced it from its birth , im sure Mark will put some nice inputs in too.
im glad u replied pugs i love to fight my corner..
robin09

Postby pugs » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:04 pm

lol robin09, I hope your typing skills are as poor as mine or this is going to be a very one sided fight lol

Robin it sounds like we use the BA in much the same way and not as our main interface. I use it for, Reliability (backup), High speed refresh, Greening up, Laying the field, and the ability to monitor several markets quickly.
I don't trade in the traditional sense so don't use any of those features, and i still believe a "macro" is a shop :oops:

So would the features i use be included in the free basic? If they were then i, you, and no doubt many others may as well just use the free basic. So then we would have a situation where Gary and Mark would have to charge its subscribers a hell of a lot more to guarantee continuation of service. Plus then it probably would never become our choice interface.

Have Gruss got a basic version, or would Gary and Mark have to write one, I'm sure that all the people that have chosen to subscribe would much rather Gruss spend their limited time on more development rather than a free basic version.

And Robin you are right, Gary and Mark don't need me plugging their software, in fact they probably wish i'd go away :lol:

The bottom line is, I believe the BA can become the ultimate interface, both your and mine choice of interface, if we give Gary and Mark the opportunity.
If they could have gone full time this would have happened sooner rather than later, but i'm still happy with what they have proposed.

Robin these are only my personal views and i fully respect your and all others.

gl everyone.
pugs

Previous

Return to Discussion