Pulling data from web page

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Pulling data from web page

Postby MatGreenaway » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Hi All,

I bet on in-play horse racing and for years have been having success. I improved this earlier this year by getting my Excel to extract race going and exact distance from a web page. This has been working well, but I have only just realised this has stopped working. It actually stopped on 24th June.

I'm no expert on VBA - most of my code has been pulled off other sites, or has been suggested on forums (probably Gruss). I grab the data from gg.com. Not sure if it is their site that has changed, or whether a Windows update has changed the way Excel macro's work (I will check Windows Update log).

The code I use is below. I've stripped out other stuff not relevant to this, and use Cells (1,1) as the trigger just in a blank spreadsheet (in reality, the trigger is something else in multiple cells). Note there are a couple of REM'd lines. The text in cell B2 (2, 1) is "https://gg.com/racing/03-aug-2015/carlisle-2045" (without the quotes)

I would really appreciate any comments or help!! TIA - Mat G

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
On Error GoTo errhand
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Cells(1, 1) = "yes" Then

Dim xml As Object
Set xml = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
xml.Open "Get", Cells(2, 1), False
xml.Send

Dim doc As Object
Set doc = CreateObject("htmlfile")
doc.body.innerhtml = xml.responseText

Dim name
Dim going

Set name = doc.getElementsByTagName("h4")(1)
Rem Set going = doc.getelementsbyclassname("going")(0).getElementsByTagName("h1")(3)

Rem Cells(187, 4) = going.innertext

openingParen = InStr(name.innertext, "(")
closingParen = InStr(name.innertext, ")")
distance = Mid(name.innertext, openingParen + 1, closingParen - openingParen - 1)
Cells(183, 4) = distance
Cells(185, 4) = name.innertext

Dim result As String
Dim myURL As String
Dim winHttpReq As Object
Set winHttpReq = CreateObject("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")

winHttpReq.Open "GET", Cells(2, 1), False
winHttpReq.Send
result = winHttpReq.responseText
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Range("A5").Value = result

Cells(185, 4) = Cells(185, 2)

End If

errhand:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub
MatGreenaway

Re: Pulling data from web page

Postby MatGreenaway » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi, I believe I have resolved this (and will know for sure when the 1.50 at Brighton starts).

Just for reference in case somebody else has an issue with data scraping, I changed one line from

Set xml = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")

to

Set xml = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")

and all now works. Although I checked Windows Updates and when my machine was rebooted, it must have been something to do with the way Windows / MS Office / VBA changed (I can only assume).

Have a good day's betting / trading!
MatGreenaway

Postby Fsolovaki » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 am

This information can be found on the page or not.
Fsolovaki

Postby Shaun » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:27 am

This may have solved my issue i was using Set oXHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP") and replaced it with Set oXHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP")

I need to test some more to see if it solved the issue as mine would crash on on first use of my macro but function after that.
Shaun

Postby MatGreenaway » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 am

Hope you get yours fully sorted Shaun, I don't really know VBA - I only find snippets from Google and just about manage to edit to suit! I don't know what difference just adding "Server" to that CreateObject line makes!

Cheers,
Mat
MatGreenaway

Postby Shaun » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks, yes it worked a treat, no more issues and i will be sure to add that to all my other sheets, even those that don't have issues.

My issue was something to do with a cookie and when it expired.
Shaun

Return to Discussion