Extract Date

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Extract Date

Postby knot » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi all!

I am looking to extract the date from the following text:

GB / Redc 8th Sep / 14:20 7f Nursery

All i need is the 8th part. I can do this manually using the Excel Text To Columns feature but occasionally this does not work correctly. For example if i use the Text To Columns feature to extract the 8th from the following text for some reason i also get the Hcap Chs parts extracted.

GB / Worc 8th Sep / 14:10 2m4f Nov Hcap Chs
GB / Worc 8th Sep / 14:10 2m4f Nov Hcap Chs

So what i require is a reliable formula that will extract the 8th from all of the above race texts.

Any ideas please? :)
knot

Re: Extract Date

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Are you looking for a formula or VBA?

Here's a formula to pick out the 4th word in a text string in cell A1

=MID(MID(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",3),1,256),FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",3)),256),2,FIND(" ",MID(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",3),1,256),FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","^",3)),256))-2)

If it's a regular format it might be better for you to write a small VBA function using split in VBA rather than using long formulas
Captain Sensible

Re: Extract Date

Postby knot » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Cheers Captain, nice one! :)
knot

Return to Discussion