separating distance

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

separating distance

Postby slochin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Hello,
I am hoping someone may be able to assist me please.
I am wanting to automatically select Aus horse races which are above a certain distance. Now the problem is that when I transfer the info from BA the distance is in the main heading line.

MVal (AUS) 4th Dec - 18:45 R1 1600m Mdn 23:20:00 Horse Racing\AUS\MVal (AUS) 4th Dec BFSP Y Parent id 27617849 Version 1.37E+08
This is all one line in Excel.

I was wondering if there was anyway to perhaps extract the distance from the line above and place it in a cell and then be able to tell excel not to carry out the usual betting procedure on the race as it comes up
if it is under the distance required.
Gil
slochin

Re: separating distance

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Are you sure that string is all in one cell? It's usually just something like Nort (AUS) 2nd Dec - 13:02 R7 297m FFA in cell A1.

Do you know how to use VBA and functions? If so you could just add the following code to a module and call it into any cell you want by just putting

Code: Select all
=findword(A1,8)

where A1 contains your cell and it'll just pick out the 8th word along then remove the "m" so you can use it for simple calculations.

Function FindWord(Source As String, Position As Integer)
Dim arr() As String
arr = VBA.Split(Source, " ")
xCount = UBound(arr)
If xCount < 1 Or (Position - 1) > xCount Or Position < 0 Then
    FindWord = ""
Else
    FindWord = arr(Position - 1)
End If
FindWord = Replace(FindWord, "m", "")
End Function
Captain Sensible

Postby slochin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:30 am

Hello Captain Sensible,
Not sure what's happening but have stopped receiving email advice that there is a new post.
On the bottom rung for VBA but am reading and watching info about it hoping to improve.
You are right about the race info being in ColA. Looking at a few of the races it would appear they follow the same format so selecting the 8th word would appear to be the exact thing I am looking for. This has made me more determined now to understand VBA.
As I stated in the original post I would like a way to be able to tell Betting Assistant if I do not want to bet on a race under a specified distance.
I thought by putting the distance of the race as it comes into the spreadsheet that I might be able to use a command to have Betting Assistant check the cell where the distance is and if it is under the required distance then no bets would be placed and so on for each race as it comes through.
Thanks again.
Gil
slochin

Postby Captain Sensible » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 pm

VBA isn't as complicated as it first seems and does give you better control but can be a bt of a learning curve if you're not used to excel either.

Basically you open the workbook and press the ALT and F11 together to bring up the VBA editor screen, on the top menu select Insert and click module. On the left hand side of the screen you'll now see module attached to your worksheet, double click module and paste in the code

Function FindWord(Source As String, Position As Integer)
Dim arr() As String

On Error GoTo ErrHandler:

arr = VBA.Split(Source, " ")
xCount = UBound(arr)
If xCount < 1 Or (Position - 1) > xCount Or Position < 0 Then
    FindWord = ""
Else
    FindWord = arr(Position - 1)
End If
FindWord = CInt(Replace(FindWord, "m", ""))
Exit Function
ErrHandler:
FindWord = 0
End Function

You've now added a new function to your spreadsheet, these functions are no different to the IF's , COUNT's AVERAGES etc that are already coded into excel they are just your own custom functions.

I amended the code slightly so it has error trapping if no distance is found it'll just return 0 as you want to bet over a specific distance rather than under, plus it'll return the value as a number so it can easily be used in any formulas.

Say you wanted it to say yes if it's over or equal to 1000 it'sas simple as putting the following in a formula

=IF(findword(A1,8)>=1000,"YES","NO")

If you want to add it to existing code like on the other sheet you just include it within the AND statement like so

=IF(AND(findword(A1,8)>=1000,R5<>"",F5>R5,$AA$1="Yes"),"BACK","")
Captain Sensible

Return to Discussion