Simple Copy and Paste Question

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Simple Copy and Paste Question

Postby Jack_123987 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:12 am

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for this question if its pretty easy to solve but for some reason I can't get this to work. When I take selections from a website and cut and paste the selections in to my speadsheet it does not register. For example, if I cut and paste from a website the selection "Horse 1" and then have the spreadsheet match my selection to the horses in the race (i.e from the excel log current prices Sheet1 A5 is "Horse 1") It will not match, however if I manually type in to the spreadsheet "Horse 1" it will work.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Jack
Jack_123987

Re: Simple Copy and Paste Question

Postby Daywalker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:52 am

Excel can be difficult when matching depending on method. Your cut and paste needs to be exactly the same as what's coming from Betfair. Check for upper/lower case, apostrophes, hyphens, extra spaces. Also check data type of cell when pasted. If you're using VBA you can clean the cut before pasting.
Daywalker

Postby Jack_123987 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Daywalker,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, I really appreciate it.

I've checked the details etc and have tried copying to a text file then re-copying to my spreadsheet but still it does not work.

Could you please let me know how I could do it with VBA? I'm really just interested in finding a method that works I'm not fussed as to how.

Thanks again
Jack_123987

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Probably be easier to advise you if you said exactly what you're trying to do and what data you're copying? Are you using things like VLOOKUP etc, a lot of the time cutting and pasting from a website can bring across unseen html code or spaces. Hard to know what your site is bringing across but you could look at excel function like TRIM and CLEAN or SUBSTITUTE if it's bringing across not space breaking characters like   , probably save you the hassle of converting to VBA. Just a case of simply replace your lookup cell say A1 with TRIM(A1)

=VLOOKUP(A1,....................etc )

to

=VLOOKUP(TRIM(A1),..............etc)
Captain Sensible

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Actually ignore that if your trying to match names from a list, you can still use TRIM but need to enter the list data as an array or even simply add whatever extra characters are coming across to your search. Hard to second guess what you're trying to do tbh but there are plenty of options either with or without VBA
Captain Sensible

Postby Jack_123987 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks Captain for taking the time to reply.

After a bit of trial and error I managed to get it to work and it was as you suggested using the Trim function. The other thing I needed to do was when pasting the selection in to excel, I selected Paste Special and selected unicode text.

Thanks again to everyone who replied and helped me fix the problem.... anyways on to the next problem or should I say solution ;-)
Jack_123987

Return to Discussion