Bizarre response times

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Bizarre response times

Postby KAD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am

Hey, new BA user here. Terrific piece of software but I'm encountering an issue which renders it near unusable for me. Full disclosure before I list my numbers, I'm Australian based so while my 'normal' numbers look astronomically high when compared to that of a UK user, a response of sub 400ms is actually very good.

Basically I'm encountering massive variance in my response times, my last 20 or so RT's are listed below -

So as you can see, the majority of response times are in the vicinity of 380-400ms which I'm very happy with. The speed of light dictates I can't expect much better obviously. However I'm getting a blowout RT once every 3 or 4 bets (often in excess of 2000ms and I get a 4000+ response about 1 in every 50 bets).

I'm on a 100/40 fibre connection which is ultra reliable, pings are always consistent so the quality of the connection is not in question. Information that might be pertinent to the issue -

- There is NEVER a slightly high response time, it's either 400ish or well over 1000ms. Of all the trades I've submitted there has not been even a single response of between 450-1000ms. They are all lower or higher.
- In-play bets seem much more likely to get a bad response time, even allowing for the 1000ms BF delay. It's about 50/50 whether I'll get a good time (1500ms or so) or a bad time (usually upwards of 3000).
- All bets are above the minimum bet limit.
- I seem slightly more likely to get a bad time if I've left a market open and haven't placed a bet for a while, could be nothing though, not really a big enough sample size to conclude anything.
- Using BA on a UK based remote machine seems to eliminate the issue. Obviously the response time doesn't count the trip to and from my PC but just eyeballing it, it seems fine (and the bad times listed above are VERY obvious to the eye).

Anyone have any idea what on earth is going on? While the VPS seems to eliminate the issue I really don't want to use one if I can avoid it. The fact that there's this weird black hole of response times between 450-1000ms is interesting and is probably related to whatever the problem is but for the life of me I can't think of what it is.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
KAD

Re: Bizarre response times

Postby KAD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:57 am

Also, all times listed above are pre-off trades.
KAD

Postby MarkRussell » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi,

I would recommend trying our new version which uses Betfair's Streaming options for getting the price and bet data.
It is the most efficient way of getting the data.
You can download it from the Forum.
Please see http://www.gruss-software.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10218

Regards,
Mark
MarkRussell
Site Admin

Postby Captain Sensible » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Are you polling or streaming? I don't know how the program reports response times but remember streaming prices only get sent when a change has occured. So if you're streaming the 400's will be your max speed of receiving changes whereas anything higher may simply mean the market wasn't continually active. If you're polling I guess it's possible packets have been dropped and resent. I'm in the UK and response times are very much reliant on Betfair responding or sending the data rather than my connection, at peak times I regularily get 'freezes' in the feed.
Captain Sensible

Postby KAD » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks for the replies Mark and CS. The issue is the same with both streaming and polling.

However after some experimenting this morning I've isolated the issue. The delay only happens when there is a reasonable delay between trades. When I'm mashing away at a ladder with a trade every few seconds there is no delay (~390ms), but if I only place a trade every 30 seconds to a minute there is always the delay.

The response time for trades placed in quick succession (within 5 seconds of each other) -

1150 (being the first trade in a while so subject to the delay)\
And so on...nothing above 410

However the response times when I leave 30 seconds to a minute between trades were -

There wasn't a single normal response at all. Again all trades were pre-off, nothing was in-play.

So something is happening where if there are more than a few seconds between trades, an issue is occurring and causing the big delay. I thought perhaps my router had some kind of standby mode where it takes a while to 'wake up' but I tested it with BLV running in the background so there was always a steady stream of data and the result was exactly the same. Also tried it with streaming on, streaming off, auto on, auto off etc. Nothing changed.

I literally have no idea what could be causing this :(
KAD

Postby KAD » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:51 am

Little bit more experimenting and the magic figure is 10 seconds. A traded placed within 10 seconds of a previous trade is always sub 400ms, a trade placed at 11+ seconds after the previous trade is always 1000+.

Very very weird indeed.
KAD

Postby MarkRussell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:39 am

Hi,

Please send us a Diagnostic Log from a date where you have seen the issue as I'd be keen to see if any error is recorded.
To find the log go to the options menu and select 'Open Settings Folder'
This will open a File Explorer window where you can go into the Diagnostic Logs Folder.
Email the log to us which is named using the date, e.g. today's log would be named BA_Diagnostic-2018-11-18.log
Our email is admin@gruss-software.co.uk

Regards,
Mark
MarkRussell
Site Admin

Postby KAD » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 am

No problem, am away until Wednesday morning but will send it through as soon as I get back.
KAD

Return to Help