Help with count up timer?

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Help with count up timer?

Postby danjuma » Fri May 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Would somebody help with the following please? It's possible it's been addresed in the forum somewhere before, but at present I can't find any related thread.

1.When a race goes in-play, I want a fomula in a cell that will count up in seconds from when the race turned in-play, a sort of count up timer.

2. If I have a column with a list of horses in no particualr order, and another column with a different list of horses in no particular order, how can I get excel to check/compare both list and return a value (eg. TRUE) if there is a horse with the exact same name in both lists, and another value (eg. FALSE) if there isn't?

I know a bit of excel, but can't find a function that can do this. The 'EXACT' function seems to be limited to comparing a cell against another cell, and not a list as a whole. Don't know anything about VBA.

Many thanks
danjuma

Postby xraymitch » Sat May 02, 2009 11:22 am

Hi danjuma,

Check this thread re the timer.

http://gruss-software.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2404

Re the list of horses, I am confident lots of people on here have the skills needed. I can do what you want using formulas but at the moment I am mentally exhausted. If you don't get any replies, I will come back to you in a day or so when I have rested.

I am curious to see examples of what you call fake/spoof bets. It is something I have only recently become aware of. Until now I had just thought of them as random data spikes.

Cheers,

Ray 8)
xraymitch

Postby danjuma » Sat May 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Hi Ray. Thanks for the link to the thread. I will have to go and familiarise myself with a bit of VBA before using the suggeested code in the thread, as I haven't a clue how to apply it to my spreadsheet right now.

With regards to fake/spoof money, I am no expert on the the subject myself. It is basically when somebody puts in a significantly large amount of money in the market to try and manipulate the market to their advantage.
They don't intend to get the money matched, so the money is normally put a few ticks higher than the current price (would normally appear in the second or third box, but not the first as they don't want the money to get matched). As the price moves closer to where their money is, they cancel the money, thereby causing the market to reverse.

Below are some links to check out for better understanding:

http://www.racingtraders.com/forum/show ... php?t=1181
http://www.racingtraders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468
http://www.racingtraders.tv/trading-tip ... ding-tips/

Cheers
danjuma

Postby danjuma » Sun May 03, 2009 9:54 am

xraymitch wrote:...Re the list of horses, I am confident lots of people on here have the skills needed. I can do what you want using formulas but at the moment I am mentally exhausted. If you don't get any replies, I will come back to you in a day or so when I have rested...

Hi Ray, I think I have found the solution from another forum. I will try it out and if it doesn't do the job, I'ill come back to you. Thanks
danjuma

Postby xraymitch » Sun May 03, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,

Thanks for the links, will check them out.

Here is my solution to your list problem.

Columns A and B contain list of horses in any order.
Populate cells C1 to C40 with my formula
=IF($B1="","",IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A$1:$A$40,1,FALSE)),FALSE,TRUE))

[list=]
Column A Column B Column C
Beauchamp Prince Run Forest Run FALSE
Seek The Truth Treehouse TRUE
Korelo Sprinkler FALSE
Benbeoch Hollows Mist TRUE
Astyanax The Kealshore Kid FALSE
La Pantera Rosa Ella Woodcock FALSE
Hows Trix Teviot Lass FALSE
Mitchel Henry Its A Roofer FALSE
Esme Rides A Gaine Arctic Rock FALSE
Reckless Venture Snows Ride FALSE
Sound Of Cheers Dukeofchesterwood FALSE
Pendle Forest Mitchel Henry TRUE
Now Then Sid Hatch A Plan FALSE
Treehouse Tapas Lad FALSE
Blunham Hill Golden Run FALSE
Hollows Mist Esme Rides A Gaine TRUE
Silver Dagger Classic Swain FALSE
Celtic Flow Players Please FALSE
Blank Cell Gizmondo FALSE
Blank Cell Petito FALSE
Blank Cell Southern Exit FALSE
Blank Cell Now Then Sid TRUE
Blank Cell Shannersburg FALSE
Blank Cell Purlando FALSE
Blank Cell Afectionatesqueeze FALSE
[/list]

:lol: just about to send this to you when I saw your post.

I think mine is good :D but would like to see how others have done it.

Cheers,

Ray 8)

PS It took longer to format and write this post than work out the formula !!
xraymitch

Postby danjuma » Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Ray, thanks for your formula. Yours works better.

The other person's formula was:

cell B2 =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH($A2,D:D,0)))
cell E2 =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH($D2,A:A,0)))
where colums A & D are the columns with the two set of lists, and columns B & E (with the formula copied down) returns true or false.

It worked to an extent. Say there is data in A5:A20 and there is a match in D5:D20, then it returns TRUE. However, for some reason, if the match is anywhwere outside the range, say in D21, it returns FALSE. Yours, however, returns TRUE no matter which row the match is, which is what I wanted.

The other person probably did not completely understand what I wanted, but I am still very grateful for his assistance.

Cheers.
danjuma

Postby xraymitch » Mon May 04, 2009 7:55 am

Hi,

At first glance I am not sure why the other formula only worked to an extent, will check it out later. Remember though, that unless you make a change, mine is limited to a list of 40.

Glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Ray 8)
xraymitch

Return to Help