Recording odds with BA

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Recording odds with BA

Postby alrodopial » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Here is a try:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gytizzyi40e/RECORDING ODDS WITH BA.xls

Not fully tested, not perfect, not finished but hopefully working.

Back,lay odds,last price matched,amount matched.
Football,horses,greyhounds (at least).
One market at time.

Feel free to modify it , post any ideas / changes.
alrodopial

Postby mak » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks I will try it
mak

Postby danjuma » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:32 am

Nice one alrodopial. Very useful. Cheers :)
danjuma

Postby Norwegian Would » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Excellent piece of work Alrodopial - as always! The code you have put in place gives us an excellent insight into what we can do with Excel and Gruss.

Thanks for sharing!
Norwegian Would

Postby alrodopial » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Here is the last update:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/okhntkzhfh1/RECORDING ODDS WITH BA - many markets.xls

Now you can record odds from many markets at the same time and not from only one. -Slicer beware - :D

Of course there will be performance problems when recording from many markets.
If anyone can speed up the part that copies the odds and paste (transpose) them .....
I think is the wick point that needs improvement.

If the current file is ok next update will be after a looong time.
Enjoy
alrodopial

Postby alrodopial » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Sorry, here is the correct file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyq4xdnmzqk/RECORDING ODDS WITH BA - many markets.xls
alrodopial

Postby osknows » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:01 am

Just a thought to simplify this... if I were to do this I would want to arrange all of my data in a common format in 1 worksheet which I could easily analyse and save.

I would probably..

1. Set up 2 dedicated rows in excel; 1 with Field names, 2 with live data in each worksheet linked to BA using just excel formula. These would be generic such as Date/Time, Event, Competitor1, Back odds1, layodds1 etc. Using excel 2003 I could collect up to 255 fields per market per timeframe.
2. In a completely seperate worksheet write a few lines of code that reads these specific rows from all open worksheets after defined intervals. Eg, every 10 seconds write 5 rows from 5 open worksheets into the next 5 empty rows.

Also, I suspect you may need to link this to other data as price movements alone won't help much in undestanding why prices have moved. Eg on average a 6f race will move differently to a 3m race. Also, transforming the data will probably be needed; depending on when data is recorded there may be vast amounts of data with very little movement
osknows

Postby alrodopial » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:40 am

osknows wrote:Just a thought to simplify this... if I were to do this I would want to arrange all of my data in a common format in 1 worksheet which I could easily analyse and save.

I would probably..

1. Set up 2 dedicated rows in excel; 1 with Field names, 2 with live data in each worksheet linked to BA using just excel formula. These would be generic such as Date/Time, Event, Competitor1, Back odds1, layodds1 etc. Using excel 2003 I could collect up to 255 fields per market per timeframe.
2. In a completely seperate worksheet write a few lines of code that reads these specific rows from all open worksheets after defined intervals. Eg, every 10 seconds write 5 rows from 5 open worksheets into the next 5 empty rows.

Also, I suspect you may need to link this to other data as price movements alone won't help much in undestanding why prices have moved. Eg on average a 6f race will move differently to a 3m race. Also, transforming the data will probably be needed; depending on when data is recorded there may be vast amounts of data with very little movement

Hi,
There are two options regarding storing the data.
You can store them horizontally or vertically. If you choose horizontally you have many rows available, you can have many records - up to 65000 - in excel 2003. The minus is that you firstly have to transpose the data since BF and BA give them vertically.
Second option is more faster since there is no transpose but you limit your records to 255 . If you want more you must have a second place with the data for the same market. It can be done.

What I really want you to explain is the second part of your post. I didn't get it.
Using a "fixed" field with formulas that gives you the recording lay out of the data you want to store in the same worksheet is what you are proposing?
Combined with storing the data every 5 or 10 sec and not at every refresh this will be really fast. What I don't get is how you store the data from refreshes between these lets say 10 sec.
Example:
I refresh market1 every single second and store the data every 10 sec. I copy paste the "fixed" field with the formulas - mentioned above - every 10 sec. But using formulas I can only have the data of the current moment-refresh. So copy paste will give me only the current data in the formulas.The previous 9 refreshes/data have been lost.
Am I missing something here?
The way I have set it is the refresh rate is also the recording rate.
I like your idea of storing the data from all markets in ONE worksheet and later group it by market (using rank?).
alrodopial

Postby danjuma » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 am

alrodopial wrote:Sorry, here is the correct file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyq4xdnmzqk/RECORDING ODDS WITH BA - many markets.xls

alrodopia, this is a very useful piece of spreadsheet and I would personally like to say many thanks for your hard work and efforts. Keep up the good work.

Cheers. :D
danjuma

Postby osknows » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 am

alrodopial wrote:What I really want you to explain is the second part of your post. I didn't get it.
Using a "fixed" field with formulas that gives you the recording lay out of the data you want to store in the same worksheet is what you are proposing?
Combined with storing the data every 5 or 10 sec and not at every refresh this will be really fast. What I don't get is how you store the data from refreshes between these lets say 10 sec.
Example:
I refresh market1 every single second and store the data every 10 sec. I copy paste the "fixed" field with the formulas - mentioned above - every 10 sec. But using formulas I can only have the data of the current moment-refresh. So copy paste will give me only the current data in the formulas.The previous 9 refreshes/data have been lost.
Am I missing something here?
The way I have set it is the refresh rate is also the recording rate.
I like your idea of storing the data from all markets in ONE worksheet and later group it by market (using rank?).

For example in each worksheet linked to a BA market make row 100 your field names; Market Name, Selection1 Name, Selection 1 back odds, etc
Make row 101 your live data with formulae to capture each field named in row 100. This is live data which updates to match your BA refresh rate; eg simple formula such as =A5, =B5. Evertime you capture this row you have 1 timeframe of data - how often you do this is up to you.

Now in another worksheet/workbook, call this your data capture sheet, in row 1 have the same field names as row 100. Then using VB code copy and paste the live data from row 101 of all required worksheets into the next empty row of the data capture sheet. How often you do this is up to you (every 0.1 secs or every 10 secs..)

eg. say you have 2 worksheets linked to BA with refresh rate 0.2 secs. You decide to log data to your data capture worksheet every second...

Then after 10 seconds you will have 20 rows of data (10 seconds x 2 worksheets). You will not capture the 4 additional BA refreshes between each second unless you set the capture rate to the same as BA refresh rate.

I guess you must decide if you want to...?

I would advise having 1 row in excel = 1 timeframe; say you capture every 0.1 seconds. You can then capture 255 unique fields for 108 minutes (65000/10/60) wheareas using columns you could capture 65000 unique pieces of data for 25.5 seconds (255/10). I can't see why you'd need to capture more than 255 unique fields though.
osknows

Postby osknows » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 am

alrodopial wrote:I like your idea of storing the data from all markets in ONE worksheet and later group it by market (using rank?).

Sort the final data by market name and timestamp (hopefully 2 of the fields you would include in the data)
osknows

Postby danjuma » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:38 am

Unfortunately, this sheet does not seem to be working properly and alrodopial is currently too busy to amend.

So I am still looking for a sheet for my requirements (record the odds, prices and amount matched from BA for multiple markets to separate sheets at a user-defined interval). If anybody has got any, I would be much obliged.

Thanks
Dan
danjuma

repost file

Postby g06o » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi,
I am new in this forum and look for excel sheet to record the odds, back , lay and other information.
The file http://www.mediafire.com/file/gytizzyi40e/RECORDING ODDS WITH BA.xls is deleted.
Please repost this file.
Thank you
g06o

Postby alrodopial » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

alrodopial

Postby houchy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Update??
houchy

Next

Return to Help