Formula error message

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Formula error message

Postby cryfortheclown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:43 am

Hi there,

I've been trying to input a formula into excel, copied from one of Steve Howe's videos for excel 'beginners' & I keep getting an error message. I suspect there may be something wrong with my excel sheet, although I only downloaded it a few days ago-if there is something wrong with the sheet I'd appreciate any advice as to how to fix it.
This is the code I'm trying to input:

=IF(ISBLANK(A5),'',SUM($Y$2)) (From video no. 3 in Steve's 5-part beginner's videos)

So I've put comma, quotation marks, comma with no spaces in between

I hope I'm copying the code correctly

Thanks in advance

cryfortheclown
cryfortheclown

Re: Formula error message

Postby Daywalker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 am

Hi. The blank value is added with double quotes, not single. Instead of the single try this in your formula -

,"",

Also, the sum function needs to add two or more values. Although I'm not sure if it gives an error with only one value. If it's a range of cells, it would look something like this -

Sum($Y$2:$Y$5)

This gives the same result as Y2+Y3+Y4+Y5.
Daywalker

Postby cryfortheclown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi again,
I think I may have understood what the problem is,- I am using Windows on my PC whereas the in the video I'm copying from. Steve is using Mac. Could this be the problem? Thanks
cryfortheclown

Postby cryfortheclown » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:20 am

Hi Daywalker,
Thanks for your help re using double quotation marks. I found out also that on my computer the 'list separator' is set to semicolon, not comma, so using double quotations & semicolons my formulas are working correctly. (The 'list separator' is found under 'Control Panel>Region and Language>Additional Settings' for anyone having an issue with non-functioning formulas.)
cryfortheclown

Return to Help