Horse Notes issue

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Horse Notes issue

Postby Shaker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Bear with me...

I have numerous notes made on horses and have my horse notes displayed in my Betting Assistant.

If I have notes already made on a horse and I want to add more, I click on the box containing the notes on the relevant row (to bring up the notes new window).

If the horse name I have just clicked on is highlighted in this new window then any new notes written will be saved and all is well.

However, if i click on the notes box on the same row as the horse's name and the new window opens for me to add new notes yet the name of the horse ISN'T highlighted then any new notes do not get saved, instead it just duplicates the entry and I have two of the same horse's name saying what it did before I added more notes.

EG - horse called EXITAS, click on notes on his row where I already have notes displayed. If when new window opens the name EXITAS is highlighted and previous notes are visible, then the program will save any new notes to be added. If, however, when the new window opens and EXITAS isn't highlighted and the left hand panel is blank, i.e. it's previous notes are not displayed, then any notes added now will not be saved and instead I'll have two lots of Exitas notes saved, both identical showing only the previous notes and not including the new notes just added.

Same thing if I type a horse's name as "Add new" in the new window and the horse's name is already in the database - if it tells me with a pop-up window then that's great, extra notes will get saved. However sometimes it doesn't tell me with a pop-up, it just goes to that horse's name and notes - in this instance the new program won't save any notes I now add, it just creates a duplicate entry.

Has always happened to me, for years, I just haven't bothered to try and spell it out before - not easy to describe as you can see. Hope it makes sense, just that it's becoming more of a problem as time goes on. Thanks.
Shaker

Re: Horse Notes issue

Postby Shaker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Can anyone help with this? Really annoying me now. I assume there's no better place to ask for help?

Easiest way to replicate problem: Often I have notes I want to delete - I have horse notes displayed and I click on the notes box to bring up the new window. If I click delete and the horse's name ISN'T highlighted in the right hand panel, the program not only doesn't delete the notes but it gives me another entry for the horse, identical to the one I tried to delete!
Shaker

Postby MarkRussell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi,

Please contact admin@gruss-software.co.uk

Regards,
Mark
MarkRussell
Site Admin

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am

I think this is caused by the original notes being entered in all lower case or a different case to the name displayed. eg "red rum" was being treated as a different name to "Red Rum". I have fixed this issue, see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9979
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby Shaker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Many thanks but unfortunately there are still issues.

If I click on the existing notes to bring up the new window and then edit the notes, the notes being displayed on the main gruss screen do temporarily update but it seems the update doesn't get saved AND there is still a duplicate entry made (also not updated with the edit).

NOTE:- this is only for horses where names are saved all in lowercase.
Shaker

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Whilst you're looking at the notes would it be possible for us to have a separate save button rather than the data being saved only when you log out. Plenty of times I just shutdown my PC rather than logging out of the program and it'll lose all data I've entered in that program session.
Captain Sensible

Postby GaryRussell » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am

Captain Sensible wrote:Whilst you're looking at the notes would it be possible for us to have a separate save button rather than the data being saved only when you log out. Plenty of times I just shutdown my PC rather than logging out of the program and it'll lose all data I've entered in that program session.

Are you referring to notes or some other data? I can probably get it to do an auto save if it detects a shutdown.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby GaryRussell » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 am

Shaker wrote:Many thanks but unfortunately there are still issues.

If I click on the existing notes to bring up the new window and then edit the notes, the notes being displayed on the main gruss screen do temporarily update but it seems the update doesn't get saved AND there is still a duplicate entry made (also not updated with the edit).

NOTE:- this is only for horses where names are saved all in lowercase.

Sorry, having trouble replicating this. Are you definitely running version 1.3.0.38y9?
Are you able to replicate this issue by adding new notes in this version in lower case or does it only happen to notes you entered before the update?
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby Captain Sensible » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:18 pm

GaryRussell wrote:
Captain Sensible wrote:Whilst you're looking at the notes would it be possible for us to have a separate save button rather than the data being saved only when you log out. Plenty of times I just shutdown my PC rather than logging out of the program and it'll lose all data I've entered in that program session.

Are you referring to notes or some other data? I can probably get it to do an auto save if it detects a shutdown.

Was the Notes and custom columns I'd noticed but guess it'd apply to all cached data , an auto save on shutdown would be good. It'd also be good if we had a way of clearing caches without shutting down the program session, mainly thinking of the transaction log as I usually leave my BA running for weeks and it can get long.

Thanks
Captain Sensible

Postby Shaker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:27 pm

GaryRussell wrote:Sorry, having trouble replicating this. Are you definitely running version 1.3.0.38y9?
Are you able to replicate this issue by adding new notes in this version in lower case or does it only happen to notes you entered before the update?

I was not on that version although I had reinstalled using your link from earlier in the thread. Now on 1.3.0.38y10 and it seems to work perfectly, thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Shaker

Return to Help