Triggered Betting Lays OVER a price.

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Triggered Betting Lays OVER a price.

Postby Happy Harry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 am

This has got me beat.

I have a set of selections which I want to lay but only if the forecast SP is higher than a certain value. So sequence I want to do each day is:-

Populate Selections Tab of Standard Gruss Spreadsheet -> open gruss -> link sheet -> load markets @ 5 seconds to jump -> trigger for all or any bets in the sheet go off for each selection where the forecast SP is more than $10 and place the bets as LAYSP for a fixed liability.

No matter what I do I can not get the standard sheet to do this. So nothing I put into the Trigger Column will force the bet to only be placed as a LAYSP if the SP Forecast is above a price.

In this case I have identified a set of selections which are low prices on some ratings where if the Betfair market doesn't like them they don't win so I want to be able to lay them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Happy Harry

Re: Triggered Betting Lays OVER a price.

Postby Rinconpaul » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:00 am

Can I suggest a couple of things?
1/ remember BSP is the most accurate measure of probability. The algo that produces a projected SP isn't anywhere near as accurate!
2/ place your bet the second the BSP is known in play if it meets your criteria. Like if BSP is > than my rated price by x%, Lay at BSP price or better. (Theory abounds that you should be reversing this strategy?)
This way you take advantage of knowing where the late money is placed by those watching the race and knowing it's going to start a couple of mins after advertised start. You're way ahead of all the bots triggering at the start time.
You will miss out on a match, a certain % of the time, but trial it to see what price ranges.
Rinconpaul

Postby Happy Harry » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

Many thanks and good point.

That is another further refinement though. The problem is that the standard spreadsheet allows only two options for BACK or LAY SP. If backing a minimum price. And if laying a maximum price. And is still wrong in that the columns are reversed. In this sense what is being done, apart from the columns in the Selections Sheet being reversed is mirroring what the API offers. ie a minimum matched price for a Back and a Maximum Lay price for a lay.

What I am trying to do is on the lay side essentially the opposite. I only want to lay them if they are a high price.

Try as I might I have not been able to find a way of only putting an individual or several bets if they all qualify into the market when and only when it looks like they will start at a higher price than my minimum.

Essentially the problem is that I dont understand Excel well enough because if there are bets in the Selections Tab and Any single bet is going to exceed the minimum price and the max price is set at 999 which is what it needs to be the sheet places all the bets including those starting short. That seems to be because if the trigger fires any runners in column A of the Selections Sheet will be placed no matter what. And I dont seem to be able to stop the low priced ones being placed even when I dont want them to be. I presume, although I have not checked, that if the sheet fires and puts several runners in and they all have different Max Prices or Lapse that this will occur. So runner A is max price for the SPLAY of $2 and runner B is $3 then that is what the sheet does.

We tried this approach in the Selections Sheet so added two more columns.

Horse Name Stake Bet Type Min Odds Max Odds SP Final Stake
1. A Patch On Knee $50.00 LAYSP $1.30 $1.30 14.51 $50.00

where the formula for the last two columns so F and G are:-

=VLOOKUP(A2,Market!$A$5:$Z$55,25,0)

and

=IF(F2>9.5,B2,0) in this case the 9.5 is $9.50

and then altered the market sheet column AC to read column G from the Selections Sheet but that didnt work. The Market Sheet simply ignores Column G entirely.

Simple problem but so far no solution.
Happy Harry

Postby tsiri » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Whenever i have this sort of problem I find best method to eliminate unexpected results - is to test the operator isolated through a stand alone calc sheet.

New sheet Typ' sheet code (not module)

Option Explicit
Dim PrevVal As String

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()

If Range("A1").Value <> PrevVal Then (or whatever range feed from your Live Price sheet)

' Logic code or call sub in here'

End If

PrevVal = Range("A1").Value

End Sub

See if isolating from main calc sheet eliminates the unexpected result?
Lots of examples of this type of calc sheet around.
tsiri

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Are you using your own sheet or a one of the sample sheets off the site? If so which one as it'll be easier for people to advise if they can have the sheet themselves to see what you're trying to do.

The problem you'll always have is that the BSP isn't set up to do what you want because it's set up for gamblers who want control over the prices they'll accept. You'll always be at risk of laying some runners under your set price and also missing laying some just because the prices are fluid and aren't neccessarily going to be the same 5 second out when placed compared to the actual starting price when they jump maybe a few minutes later.
Captain Sensible

Postby Happy Harry » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 am

Hi there.

it is the original Standard Betting Sheet from the examples. So the one on this link

http://www.gruss-software.co.uk/Excel/Place_Bets.xls

That sheet is the only one that I have ever used. I just slightly modify it from time to time as I require.
Happy Harry

Postby Rinconpaul » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am

Harry,
Trying to get a grip on your issues here? You want to Lay a runner (let's call it "Foxtrot") that's in cell A5 , if it's projected SP (cell Y5) is greater than your rated price (cell AM5). Your rated price is preconceived and so over on the right side of the spreadsheet you might have a column of runner names (col AP) and rated prices adjacent (col AQ). Cell AM5 will have a formula like: =index($AQ$1:$AQ$100,match($A5,$AP$1:$AP$100,0)) This will look up "Foxtrot", find it's rated price (let's say it's $7.50) and that will be showing in cell AM5. In the trigger cell Q5 you will have a formula: =if(AM5<Y5,"LAY","")

This is very basic as you will need another condition related to time to trigger as well. You might have add-on conditions to fill and kill the bet within 'n' seconds....all sorts of conditions actually like % difference between SP and your rated price? In cell R5 you will have the formula =Y5 if you want to be matched at projected SP. In cell S5 you might have a basic $ stake or something more complex like : =100/(Y5-1).

I'm presuming you know how to switch on the SP prices in col Y ? To create a timed bet...well that's another piece of code/formula. I'm presuming you aren't familiar with VBA? (more tutoring req) You can set all this up as a trial over on the right side of your sheet, to watch it interact with the live prices without actually placing a bet.

Hope this helps a little? It is VERY frustrating starting out, we've all been through it and continue too, the more advanced you get.
Rinconpaul

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 am

Thanks for the help.

I have tried these two option in the Trigger Column.

=IF(AND(E$2="Not In Play",F$2<>"Suspended", Y5>=9.3195, A5=Z5),AA5,"#NA")

or

=IF(AND(E$2="Not In Play",F$2<>"Suspended", Y5>=9.3195, A5=Z5),AA5,"")

The spreadsheet just simply ignores the trigger column entirely.
Happy Harry

Postby Rinconpaul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 am

Harry,
Not sure what's going on there? On my sheet col Y is SP, Z Average last odds, AA Odds, AB Greened Up P&L.

Can't remember how my sheet evolved to this, but if you've got COMS active, and dependent on what version you're running, the cells in Z and AA of your sheet maybe reserved for the application? Dunno, have you tried referencing columns further to the right in clear space? col BA, BB... for instance.

Another issue might be the trigger is working but if you're using a micro stake for testing reasons, you might end up in strife too? That happens to me if I use a 10 cent stake, it just refuses to work on the excel sheet but manually doing it on the Application sheet, it works fine and the bet is registered.
Rinconpaul

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 am

Here is a screen shot with the formulae line in the excel bar.

The sheet simply ignores what is in the trigger column.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 25 15.09.jpg
ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 25 15.09.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 31452 times
Happy Harry

Postby Rinconpaul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 am

Something certainly not right! I can't understand why the Lay prices, Last price, Offered Amounts etc aren't populated? It's In Play, hang on, have you got them unticked in Preferences Display Columns? I'm thinking that there's a box to tick in there somewhere? I got caught the other day with Greyhound place markets...all greyed out?

Hopefully someone in the know can chip in and verify this? Send your issue direct to Gruss Admin?
Rinconpaul

Postby Happy Harry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 am

The reason for the not populated and also showing cancelled when it had been placed is that the markets had been completed a couple of hours before.
Happy Harry

Postby Rinconpaul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 am

Understood. OK forget LAYSP. Just Lay at the SP price shown in cell Y5. So populate Col Y with "LAY". Then set up a trigger button to copy Y5 or any cells that meet your criteria and paste into the trigger cell. If you don't know how to set up a trigger, just do it manually copy and paste. See if that works? You might get a match and you might not, and you can always cancel the bet on the application. Just want to see if it accepts your bet? If that works then there's an issue with the instruction LAYSP or If that doesn't work then I'm wondering if your account's in credit or something out of left field?
Rinconpaul

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Rinconpaul wrote:Understood. OK forget LAYSP. Just Lay at the SP price shown in cell Y5. So populate Col Y with "LAY". Then set up a trigger button to copy Y5 or any cells that meet your criteria and paste into the trigger cell. If you don't know how to set up a trigger, just do it manually copy and paste. See if that works? You might get a match and you might not, and you can always cancel the bet on the application. Just want to see if it accepts your bet? If that works then there's an issue with the instruction LAYSP or If that doesn't work then I'm wondering if your account's in credit or something out of left field?

I think he's trying to lay to a £30 payout so be careful simply changing LAYSP to LAY if that's the case as you'd also need to change your stake from £30. Also the spreadsheet is showing the bet reference as CANCELLED so some bet must have been placed sometime or other. When you log to excel do you have the options to clear the bet ref column ticked?
Captain Sensible

Postby Rinconpaul » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Further to my previous comment Harry about the accuracy of BSP. I record race data at 5 sec intervals for the period 5 min before advertised race start and the actual start. From a race yesterday these are the SP predictions at 5 sec before start and the BSP:
2.84 2.92
24 26.4
180 183
5.8 5.9
260 246
3 2.96
19 19.65
19 19.5
1000 1000
280 235

They're close, some under, some over, but still unpredictable. Your strategy of LAYSP if SP is greater than your rated price could come unstuck as the BSP might end up less?

There are also two different commands LAYSP and LAY-SP. See this:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9511

Captain Sensible had provided a good explanation.
Rinconpaul

Next

Return to Discussion