Excel Newbie

Find a developer for your Excel triggered betting needs and advertise your development service here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Excel Newbie

Postby Piazzola » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 am

Hi,

I would like to make selections in a number of markets and have them trigger automaticaly (unattended) at 5mins before the off time.

I understand that this is possible using excel spreadsheet

Could someone explain how this is done?

I appreciate your help

Many thanks

Roberto
Piazzola

Postby Smokin Joe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 am

The following formula will work

=IF((D2*1440)<5,"BACK","WAITING")

D2 is the countdown timer

Once the timer gets to less than 5 minutes a "BACK" bet will be placed.

You can amend the formula so that you only place the BACK bet if the price is above a certain level

=IF(AND((D2*1440)<5,F5>3),"BACK","WAITING")

This formula places a BACK bet once the timer goes below 5 minutes, only if the back odds are greater than 3.
Smokin Joe

Postby Piazzola » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:43 am

Smokin Joe,
Thanks for your reply and your instructions..

Apologies, but as I said I am a newbie..how do I get Bet Assistant and Excel to work together..for me to input your formula..?

I guess I need a step by step instruction

Thanks

Roberto
Piazzola

Postby Smokin Joe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Piazzola wrote:Smokin Joe,
Thanks for your reply and your instructions..

Apologies, but as I said I am a newbie..how do I get Bet Assistant and Excel to work together..for me to input your formula..?

I guess I need a step by step instruction

Thanks

Roberto

Open the Help file. The Excel part tells you how to link a spreadsheet to BA.
Smokin Joe

Postby Piazzola » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks Smokin Joe,

I have manged to load a market into Excel, but have yet to use your formula..(do I copy this into the trigger column for the horse I want to bet/lay?)

Also I would want to import into the spreadsheet more than one market and leave the software running to trigger the bets unattended..is this possible?

How do i import more than one market?

many thanks for your patience..

Roberto
Piazzola

Postby Smokin Joe » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:27 pm

You can have more than one market in your BA interface. When you have 1 market on BA drag a second market into the window, you can keep adding more markets.

All the markets that you add will be moinitored in Excel.

Yes, place my formula in the Trigger column, but it is for a BACK not a LAY. You would really need some basic Excel knowlegde before you start running about using triggers (IMO).
Smokin Joe

Postby Piazzola » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Smokin Joe...

Thanks again for your reply...

If I were to replace "Back" in your fomula with "Lay"..would that trigger a Lay bet ?

of course to begin with I would monitor the markets and the formula to see if it's working okay..

again I appreciate your help..

r.
Piazzola

Postby Smokin Joe » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Piazzola wrote:Smokin Joe...

Thanks again for your reply...

If I were to replace "Back" in your fomula with "Lay"..would that trigger a Lay bet ?

r.

Yes, but they have to be in UPPERCASE, so it's BACK and LAY
Smokin Joe

Postby Piazzola » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Smokin Joe,

Thanks for all your help..

I will try out the the fomula and your instructions in the next couple of days.

I'll let you know how I get on..

Roberto
Piazzola

Postby Piazzola » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:41 pm

The following formula will work

=IF((D2*1440)<5,"BACK","WAITING")

D2 is the countdown timer

Once the timer gets to less than 5 minutes a "BACK" bet will be placed.

You can amend the formula so that you only place the BACK bet if the price is above a certain level

=IF(AND((D2*1440)<5,F5>3),"BACK","WAITING")

This formula places a BACK bet once the timer goes below 5 minutes, only if the back odds are greater than 3.

Smokin Joe,

I tried this formula on saturday, making sure to change "BACK" to "LAY" and also changing the ">3" to "<31" as I wanted to lay my selection at no more than 30.

Whilst Excel did indeed trigger the bet (LAY appeared in the trigger column) The bet did not fire into betfair.
I made sure that "allow trigger betting" was ticked on.

Can you advise me?

Also I had my stake at £4 on the BA program . Am I correct in believing that this is the price at which the formula should fire in my (lay) bet.

Again I thank you for your help and patience.

Roberto
Piazzola

Postby PeteB » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:59 pm

You need to populate the odds and stake columns win Excel too.

Only when all 3 columns are populated (trigger, odds, stake) will a bet be fired.

Test this manually first, using odds that definitely won't be matched
e.g.
trigger BACK
odds 1000
stake £2
or
trigger LAY
odds 1.01
stake £2

Once you've got that working, then move on to setting these values using formulae
PeteB

Postby Piazzola » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Do I need to populate every single horse or just the selection I am intrested in?

And do I need to "populate" every single race that I select for my excel sheet?

many thanks

r.
Piazzola

Postby PeteB » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Just the selection you're interested in

If you want to place bets in several markets, you can either put each market on a separate tab, and then put the trigger, odds and stake against the selection you want - or you can use the 'quick pick list' and set it to automatically load the next market once the current one has started - in which case you would need formulae against every selection, and a look up against another sheet of runners to look up the odds and stake you want.

The best advice is to avoid using formulae until you are certian what you want to to. Spend an afternoon watching, and place your BACK or LAY trigger and your odds and stake manually at the right moment, and watch what then happens in Excel. Play with the quick pick list and wathc how and when it changes markets. Once you know have done a few races, you will know what you have to do manually to achieve the results you want - than you can set about automating it.
PeteB

Return to Find an Excel developer