using gruss from asia ?

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

using gruss from asia ?

Postby jumpsfan » Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 pm

could anyone please advise how to use gruss from asia

i may be travelling to thailand , singapore , hong kong etc for a few months and would like to work a few days on gruss if i can .

do i need to use a VPN or something , and if so , do i connect the VPN to the proxy on the gruss start up screen ?

i am unsure how i go about this so any advice would be great

thank you
jumpsfan

Re: using gruss from asia ?

Postby Deestar » Thu May 30, 2019 10:56 am

Hi

Yes VPN is one option, and no you don't need to use the proxy.

You start the VPN of your choice which then basically tunnels all your internet traffic through one of their servers (which you select) so that any website you visit assumes you are coming from the location selected. You would log into Gruss as normal. I occasionally use Private Tunnel when i'm away. It works well and has a London based server that your traffic is routed through. However, I only really use it to check balances/results etc or place manual bets, certainly wouldn't do any trading through it, as VPN's tend to be slow connections.

A better option, if you are planning to trade and are away for a long period, is to set Gruss up on a VPS (Virtual Private Server). You then log in to the server from anywhere (a bit like working remotely if that makes sense) but everything runs through the server directly. Basically the server becomes a second desktop that you access. Think of it as your computer at home which you access from abroad. Fast, virtually 100% up time, easy to access, but more expensive than a VPN. I use one all the time, even from the UK. All my automated bots run off it.

I use Tagadab (now Simplyclouds ) and pay about 50 quid a month, although there are cheaper options, just depends on how much grunt you need. I think they are still doing a 1 pound trial for the first month so worth trialing.

Either way, that is an amazing part of the world. Enjoy.
Deestar

Postby jumpsfan » Thu May 30, 2019 4:52 pm

hi deestar

thank you very much for taking the time to write all that information for me , it's much appreciated. i may give simplyclouds a go

thanks again
jumpsfan

Postby Betscrew » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Deestar wrote:
A better option, if you are planning to trade and are away for a long period, is to set Gruss up on a VPS (Virtual Private Server). You then log in to the server from anywhere (a bit like working remotely if that makes sense) but everything runs through the server directly. Basically the server becomes a second desktop that you access. Think of it as your computer at home which you access from abroad. Fast, virtually 100% up time, easy to access, but more expensive than a VPN. I use one all the time, even from the UK. All my automated bots run off it.

Can you clarify? Do you mean you run the Gruss client on your laptop and connect through the VPS. Or do you have Windows running on the VPS and install Gruss on that?
If the latter, how do you get the GUI after logging in to the VPS?

Cheers,
Betscrew
Betscrew

Postby Deestar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:04 pm

The VPS runs a version of windows and Gruss is also installed on it, as is excel etc.

You access the server remotely from your computer, wherever you are in the world, but everything runs off the server itself, not the device you use to access it.
Deestar

Postby jumpsfan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:24 pm

hi deestar

i did try betfair in asia using a vpn , didn't use gruss though , just the website , the market looked to be updating in a reasonable ammount of time but picture speeds on betfair live video were about 10 seconds behind .

so if i went away again , my best option is to use a vps ?

would the picture speeds i see in-running be similar to what i am use to in the uk ?
jumpsfan

Postby Deestar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am

Assuming the server is located in UK/Ire then what happens on the server will happen at the same speed (or quicker) than an equivalent PC/Laptop in the UK/Ire.

When you access the server from overseas, however, what you see happening may still be impacted by the connection you are using to access the server. So yes the pictures played via the VPS will be just as quick (assuming the server you use has appropriate ram etc) as they would be in the UK, but when you view them from Asia (or anywhere else in the world) you might still be impacted because of your local connection speed to the server.

Imagine someone in the UK watching local TV and then you viewing their TV via skype. If the skype connection is slow then what you see will lag/drop etc, even though the pictures are fast locally.

The VPS is really suited for automated processes. Personally I don't play in-running, or trade manually, so if i want to watch a race for interest sake, a time delay doesn't bother me.
Deestar

Postby jumpsfan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

thank you for all your help deestar

so it is quite possible that if the vps server has decent ram and my internet provider in asia is very fast ( 200mbps ) the delay may only be half of a second or even less ?
jumpsfan

Postby jumpsfan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm

* half a second more than what i would be use to if playing from home in the uk
jumpsfan

Postby Deestar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:29 pm

To be clear we are talking about a lag between what is happening live on your VPS and what you'll see when logging into that server from the other side of the world. I have no idea how much that is, or would be, in real terms but assuming a good connection i doubt it would be significant.

The live vid pictures on the server on the other hand will still be delayed the same as everyone else taking the live feed via the website.
Deestar

Postby jumpsfan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:23 pm

To be clear we are talking about a lag between what is happening live on your VPS and what you'll see when logging into that server from the other side of the world

yes , thank you deestar . if i ever go away again i will give this a go and let you know how i get on . i'm sorry that i didn't try it on my last holiday as i totally forgot about it and just used a vpn , which obviously added alot of lag .

thanks very much deestar , you have been most helpful and very kind to take the time to explain and reply .

good luck
jumpsfan

Postby jumpsfan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:27 pm

hi again deestar

would you know of any way to test or replicate using VPS from asia , but testing it from london, so i could see how it might perform if i was in asia ?
jumpsfan

Postby osknows » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:44 am

I would have thought that ideally you want the VPS close to the Betfair servers in either UK/IRE so ping time is low for the final communication with Betfair. If you're in Asia then distance from Asia -> UK is approx 10,000 km depending on location.

If you try and simulate being in Asia but based in London it's not really possible as you double the distance; UK -> Asia -> UK. This is assuming manual testing so an alternative is to setup a VPS in Asia and run some automated tests that do not incur the initial UK -> Asia trip.

I have a VPN where I can choose servers around the world. Using speedtest to best UK server has ping @ 8ms. Using a VPN in Singapore and then speedtest to the same server is approx 388ms. So you could assume it would be roughly half of that if coming from Singapore - > UK rather than UK -> Singapore - > UK (which is approx 194 ms).

All of this is very rough though as chosen network and VPS will have an impact.
osknows

Postby Drunkenight » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi Osknows, You manage to get a ping of 8ms to the Betfair servers? That is very impressive. Can I ask where about those servers are based? Many thanks
Drunkenight
Drunkenight

Postby osknows » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:42 pm

No it's not a ping to Betfair server, I meant a ping of 8ms to a reliable server on speedtest.net. I think I get around 20-35ms ping to the Betfair servers.
osknows

Next

Return to Discussion