Winning at min stakes, losing at larger

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Winning at min stakes, losing at larger

Postby NorthView » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Eventually I found a method of backing UK horses pre-off to win that's profitable over a decent sample size (hundreds of bets, a hundred winners) at £2/bet.

Keeping everything exactly the same but changing the stakes to £10 has resulted in a very long losing streak and an observed sharp increase in the number of unmatched bets.

Returning to £2 stakes has,as you'd expect, seen it return to winning ways.

My question is why should this happen? Is there a delay in Gruss when sending a £10 order over a £2 order? Is there something about Betfair's matching algorithm that's biased against a slightly larger bet size? Or is it something else?

TIA
NorthView

Re: Winning at min stakes, losing at larger

Postby NorthView » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 pm

I should add that it's usually the favourite, never long before the off and there's always hundreds of pounds of liquidity.
NorthView

Postby MarkRussell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi,

There is no difference in how long it takes the software to send a bet request based on the stake amount.

Regards,
Mark
MarkRussell
Site Admin

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:11 pm

NorthView wrote:
Keeping everything exactly the same but changing the stakes to £10 has resulted in a very long losing streak and an observed sharp increase in the number of unmatched bets.

Lots of us have strategies that scan out or ignore smaller stakes , I'd guess you're just picking up value others are leaving , when you up the stakes people are happy to take your poor value bets but leave the value bets unmatched. Smaller stakes rarely have much of an overall affect on the market but when you raise stakes you start to become the market.
Captain Sensible

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:12 pm

It's much the same as when people paper trade they win but when going live their actual bets start losing.
Captain Sensible

Postby alrodopial » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 pm

p/l of the "increased number of unmatched bets" (if were matched) ???
alrodopial

Postby NorthView » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 am

Captain Sensible wrote:
NorthView wrote:

Lots of us have strategies that scan out or ignore smaller stakes , I'd guess you're just picking up value others are leaving , when you up the stakes people are happy to take your poor value bets but leave the value bets unmatched. Smaller stakes rarely have much of an overall affect on the market but when you raise stakes you start to become the market.

Thanks CS.

I think I get what you're saying and it would explain it if I was trying to get matched at prices where there was no liquidity, but my orders are placed at prices where there's already at least £100 waiting to be matched.

The number of bets matched per day dropped a lot when I upped the stakes, so as alrodopial suggests my bad value orders are getting matched more often and good value orders are matched less often. I just can't work out why this should happen in a highly liquid market, and what I can do about it.
NorthView

Return to Discussion