Computer setup advice

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Computer setup advice

Postby chessterfish » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 pm

I would like to have all of my markets running on a dedicated computer that I anticipate will rarely/never be turned off. I'm not doing this professionally, but it has been a nice side income for the last few years now betting manually and I want to take it to the next level. I anticipate I will only have around max 30 markets running at once, but that still seems like a lot of excel spreadsheets to have open on one computer.

Does anyone have some advice for computer setups to cope with this demand?
chessterfish

Re: Computer setup advice

Postby chessterfish » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Just as an example of my concerns:

With just 7 markets running on my current laptop in separate spreadsheets, when I open task manager CPU activity rises to 36% (Intel core i7 @2.2GHz), Memory is at 58% of 7.9GB, Disk Read and Write requests go to 100% with occasional dips. Part of the problem is that I have written many of my triggers in normal excel formulae rather than VBA because I am not too well versed in VBA, but a market that I frequently bet on will be restarting in a months time, and when it does I would like to have my setup as automated as possible and be able to cope with the additional markets. Looking at the current figures in task manager and the noise the fan is making, I'm a bit sceptical that my current laptop can cope with too much more demand, but there is also a chance I might just be being paranoid.

I saw the thread about VPS and wondered if this might be a more appropriate option? I am manually setting up all of my markets and automating them once they are setup via triggered betting in the spreadsheets. Some of the markets would require me to step in if there is a sudden change, which is why I was leaning towards a dedicated computer.
chessterfish

Postby Deestar » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:34 pm

I'd be going for a VPS for sure, not least as it protects against internet/power outage.
VBA were you can, but it's not essential if you are smart with your formulas.
Good luck.
Deestar

Postby alrodopial » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 pm

The good thing about vps is that you can upgrade them on the fly based on your needs of go elsewhere
Although you didn't mention the refresh rate you are using for these 7 markets it looks like there are a lot of formulas in there
So a 4GB / at least 2cores vps is the min for you - usual price for such vps is 30 per month
Disable the chart history in ba to save memory
The most important thing to min cpu needs is to install win 2012 with office 2010
it makes great diff eg compared to win2019 and office 2016
Here's a list of vps based on the low price they ask for
I didn't test any of these so I don't know how reliable they are
There are many out there and usually more expensive

ownbox.co.uk
host4fun.com
serverhosh.com
vpsserver.com
epichosts.co.uk
chocoping.com
cheap-vps-hosting.co.uk

If anyone has experience with any of the above please share
alrodopial

Postby chessterfish » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks for the above advice.

There are alot of formulae in the spreadsheets. Each is around 220-230KB. My betting strategy seems quite simple in my head, but when you're telling a spreadsheet what you want it to do, it's actually (suprisingly) complex. At some point I'll rewrite them in VBA, but for now at least I keep finding small things that I need to refine, so for the sake of speed I'm more comfortable writing them normally.

The refresh rate is set at 1 second, which may be the default as I don't think I changed it. This is actually really low for my needs and I could bump it up to 20 seconds+. It would be nice if you could vary the refresh rate depending upon the time left until the market goes inplay, or by the market itself, but from what I can tell this doesn't seem to be possible.

I'll look into VPS providers from your advice.
chessterfish

Postby alrodopial » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:20 am

Cell Q2 can be used to control refresh rate , modify qpl or ba etc
Take a look for Q2 in user guide
If you just want to control the refresh rate you can do it with formulas in Q2 as long as they produce a positive number
eg modify the below:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10454
alrodopial

Return to Discussion