Basic clarification regarding scalping.

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Basic clarification regarding scalping.

Postby Bassdrinker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Can I ask some of the more experienced forum members to clarify something about scalping?

From what I can see a scalp is backing and laying the selection. So ideally back at 2.14 and lay at 2.12. This much I understand.

However, scalping doesn’t seem to be a case of backing at 2.14 and waiting to see if the lay price drops to 2.12 and then taking the price. As I understand it (and I could be VERY wrong on this), you make the back bet and immediately offer a lay bet of 2.12 in the hope that it is matched. If there is no match within n seconds then offer a lay bet of 2.14 to cash out with no loss.

What confuses me is that this can’t be back tested as the price and volume are not on the exchange when the bet is placed. I’m fine if this is the case but this is the part of scalping that has confused me.

Sorry if this is the wrong place but it could be part of an automated strategy.

Regards Bd
Bassdrinker

Re: Basic clarification regarding scalping.

Postby vanbuuts » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:07 pm

The problem with this “strategy” is if the price goes against you, you won’t even get your lay matched at 2.14 - it’ll have shot off to 2.18 or beyond.

I don’t think you’ll be able to backtest every single price movement unless you record this yourself - even then I doubt you’d be able to capture every single move.

The only reliable and downloadable source of data I’ve found containing price movements is here https://www.racing-bet-data.com/results.asp and even then it only gives you the pre race prices each minute. If you are talking inplay scalping it has the price moves as they happen but this market is even more volatile for scalping than pre race but will at least allow you to backtest with some confidence
vanbuuts

Postby Bassdrinker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I may have not explained my question very well.

What I was confused about is that when placing back/lay bets, are you in effect bidding for a price that is not yet available? I'm from a matched betting background so that's probably where my confusion arises.

I've done some logging through BA/VBA which logs prices and WOM to a text file every second. This looks ok for now (I'm just playing around with it at the moment). It's just the offering a price rather than waiting for a matched price that clouds the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Bd
Bassdrinker

Postby vanbuuts » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Yes precisely otherwise everyone would be backing at 2.14 and laying off instantly at 2.12 :D
vanbuuts

Postby Bassdrinker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 pm

Ahhh. So to clarify.

You put in a bet for the price you want. You do not *wait* for the price you want to become available. If that's it then it's a lot clearer.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Bd
Bassdrinker

Return to Discussion