Chasing odds in Excel

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Chasing odds in Excel

Postby Barb » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:45 am

I bet on thoroughbreds using Excel. I don't trade - meaning that I don't use any of the Stop Loss, Fill or Kill etc options. I simply place BACK-SP bets and let them ride. I use the -SP trigger (Betfair Starting Price) in order to avoid having fully or partially unmatched bets. I want to bet on markets in which Betfair Starting Price is not available. This means I will have to find another way to chase odds that shorten before my back bets are matched. The VBA code to do this would be messy. It would have to allow for multiple partial matches of each bet and ensure that the unmatched portion was not less than Betfair's minimum bet. I am not looking forward to doing it and I was hoping that there is a feature in BA that will simply chase the odds right up until the race goes In Play and unmatched bets are cancelled. Thanks.
Barb

Re: Chasing odds in Excel

Postby Captain Sensible » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:18 pm

Have a look at the UPDATE trigger, that works off the existing betid. I don't actually use it so not sure if it updates the betid once it's placed the new bet. Details should be in the manual
Captain Sensible

Postby Barb » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:28 am

Thanks Captain. It has promise but there are a few problem, notably that the unmatched portion of the bet may be matched in the instant before the UPDATESTAKE trigger has done its thing. I'm leaning towards storing the unmatched amount in a cell and then using VBA to do a CANCEL and then a new BACK with the unmatched amount. I'd have to allow one refresh cycle to elapse in between each action. It means I'll have to use VBA to track the unmatched portion and do such messy things as checked that CANCEL has happened, before doing the new BACK. It's not going to be a pleasant exercise. As Sir Humphrey would say: I foresee all sorts of unforeseen problems!
Thanks again.
Barb

Postby iceman » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 am

Hi guys, do you know if the UPDATE trigger works even with the offset bet? When the first bet is matched, does the UPDATE triggher work for the offset bet if it is still unmatched?
iceman

Return to Discussion