Remotely Run Betting Assistant

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Remotely Run Betting Assistant

Postby negapo » Wed May 13, 2009 1:03 am

Hi,
I don't know if this is possible but is there any server company who lets you install applications like you were on your computer. The objective was to run B.A. non stop (so excel was also needed). I have found this but don't know if it's exactly that. http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/

Thanks for any reply
negapo

Postby GaryRussell » Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 am

It is exactly what you need. A cheaper alternative is a VPS, http://www.easyspace.com/virtual_servers/standard_vps for example. You are sharing the machine with a small number of other users when you use a VPS so performance may not be as good.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby clinton » Wed May 13, 2009 9:41 am

Hi gary...

why dont u set up a server service to run BA remotely? I think a lot of us would be happy to pay something more for this important service...
clinton

Postby GaryRussell » Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 am

It's not the business we are in. We don't have the premises or the hardware. Something like that requires significant investment. There are plenty of companies that provide dedicated servers already.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby negapo » Wed May 13, 2009 11:38 am

Thank you for the explanation Gary.
By the way, does anyone has any good experience running B.A. with a specific company?
negapo

Postby jokerjoe » Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 pm

I run BA with tagadab, haven't had any issues in the two months or so I've been with them.
jokerjoe

Postby negapo » Wed May 13, 2009 12:25 pm

jokerjoe

Thanks, that looks a good company and they have a trial period. I have just two questions if you can help. It's essential a plan with windows or can you virtualize a windows OS in a Linux package? And how much bandwidth do you spend on average.
Thank you for any replies.
negapo

Postby jokerjoe » Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm

I've got a windows package, maybe you could virtualise it but given limited RAM I'm not sure about running two OS's. Try it on a trial and if it works let me know!

Bandwidth I use is less than 10GB, that's with four horse racing markets (~8 hours a day) open at any one time refeshing every second.
jokerjoe

Postby negapo » Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Thank you jokerjoe

That gives me a good idea of the resources i need. Best of Luck.
negapo

Postby orange » Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 am

For those of us (namely me) who are a little slow, can somebody tell me the advantage of remotely running BA on a server.
orange

Postby jokerjoe » Thu May 14, 2009 10:28 am

In my case it's because I was moving home, that and the frustation of unreliable internet and all the other things that could mess up.

My setup is fully automated, I don't imagine there would be any advantage if you needed to be present, the delay in remote accessing the server would negate any latency advantage.
jokerjoe

Postby GaryRussell » Thu May 14, 2009 10:40 am

If you are using a UK based provider like Fasthosts you can probably get faster response times with your automated solution. I certainly can. As Jokerjoe says if you are not using automation then this is not an advantage.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby negapo » Thu May 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Just to add.
I have signed up with tagadab and I'm very happy. The Internet connection is extremely fast and its a dream to me to have a computer fully dedicated to B.A..

orange
For me the advantage is that i have an automated system that runs (or is going to now) 24 hours. Having this type of service i can be sure that i have the security of a UPS, redundant Internet connections, a dedicated processor and memory (no other software), and i being the only one who can change anything (have a lot of brothers here and accidents happen).
negapo

Postby milfor » Thu May 14, 2009 1:13 pm

And you are not worried that your Betfair password and/or betting strategy is spied on by some individual at Tagadab?
milfor

Postby jokerjoe » Thu May 14, 2009 1:54 pm

A little bit, but I don't suppose they rountinely go through people's servers unless there's something majorly wrong affecting the rest of the servers. And it's preferable to the alternatives, the unreliability of leaving a pc in mine or someone's house or full-on colocation in a data center.
jokerjoe

Next

Return to Discussion