Remotely Run Betting Assistant

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Postby negapo » Thu May 14, 2009 2:24 pm

In my case i consider that risk to be smaller than losing money by losing my Internet connection, the power in my computer or someone like the people who live with me "accidentally" turn something down. I know i could set a system by myself and secured it but i think that their economies of scale offset the risk and still leave some benefits (resume: it's cheaper considering it all).
I believe the risk of stolen information exists, but i think that well known companies like Tagadab (clara.net) manages its operational risk because their core business is selling servers and a big part of the business is reputation.
negapo

Postby Roger » Thu May 14, 2009 3:44 pm

I was completely unaware of these possibilities. As a matter of interest, what is the interface between you and the tagadab servrer? I presume you still need a computer, but it is a completely asynchronous request interface? What sort of costs are involved?
Roger

Postby Bid » Thu May 14, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm also interested in this. If I wanted to run Excel automation, do I need to get MS Office installed? What would the likely costs be?
Bid

Postby negapo » Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm

You can have access to the computer via remote desktop from Microsoft. Its a program like team viewer or logmein but much faster. When you sign up they install a fresh windows OS and you have to install Office. You can log your computer drivers (the ones on the computer were you access) so you can transfer the installation files from Office. It's a very good solution, i couldn't be happier.
negapo

Postby orange » Thu May 14, 2009 11:07 pm

So presumably this would be good for example if i wanted to place a trade with stop losses and offsets that might run for over a day with out the need to have that page open and my PC on for the same length of time which currently drives me mad.

Also this presumably means more chance of request charges if you were running remotely and using another computer at home to do normal trades during the day?

Thanks for the info
orange

Postby GaryRussell » Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 am

Yes, there would be an increased chance of request charges. Make sure the throttling is set to total 20 requests. eg. you could set the throttle limit on your home PC to 15 requests per second and the remote pc to 5 requests.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby xraymitch » Fri May 15, 2009 9:02 pm

jokerjoe wrote:In my case it's because I was moving home, that and the frustation of unreliable internet and all the other things that could mess up.

My setup is fully automated, I don't imagine there would be any advantage if you needed to be present, the delay in remote accessing the server would negate any latency advantage.

Hi Folks,

Fascinated by your discussion, do have a look at

http://g.ho.st

doubt if it can work as effectively as tagadab (clara net - a company I have very high regard for) but so far ghost is still free whilst in beta. I dabbled with it a year or so ago and found it interesting.

Cheers,

Ray 8)

PS Thanks jokerjoe for your superb coding examples and the heads up on the power vba book :wink:
xraymitch

Postby eclipse » Sat May 16, 2009 11:08 am

This looks like a very interesting idea for me, especially as I've had power and internet problems when running from home. What do you recommend as the minimum RAM for running BA with Excel? Also is running on a shared machine acceptable or do you recommend a dedicated machine, which increases the cost a fair bit.
eclipse

Postby jokerjoe » Mon May 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Looks interesting, do post your findings. You won't need a lot of RAM, you can see what your current setup is using in the Task Manager. Mine is around 400MB, the more markets and more complex your Excel is the more you might need. Dedicated is probably an overkill.
jokerjoe

Postby eclipse » Tue May 19, 2009 12:25 pm

After my internet dropped out (again) yesterday, I decided to give it a try. I set up a virtual server with Tagabab as they are offering a first week trial at £1 (£2 with windows) and thereafter £24 per month. It has 20 GB hard disk space (plenty) and 512 MB RAM. I thought the RAM might be a little low but with only BA and Excel running it seems perfectly fine and is using about 400 MB. Set up was quite straight foward having only taken 20 minutes to get my allocation from them, I use Remote Desktop Connection and quickly had BA installed as Framework was already pre-installed. I then put MS office on, this took a bit longer but no problems and now I'm up and running. So far I've had no refresh timeouts at all, compared to my 1-2% with my crappy internet connection. Hope that helps if anyone is thinking of doing the same, shame BA doesn't run on Linux as then you wouldn't have to pay for Windows lol, but a small price to pay for the excellent BA.
eclipse

Postby Spike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 am

Does anyone use Rapid Switch? Any opinions on them? Also- how do people manage security on their servers? Is there any concern about hackers or do you not need to worry since you're not running a website?
Any views/experiences very welcome.
Spike

Postby methodman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:27 pm

Trying to set up with Tagadab but can't get Excel 2000 to instal. When I run setup.exe from my local PC drive I get a message saying that windows installer does not permit installation from a remote desktop connection. Tagadab support hasn't come up with anything that works yet so thought I'd ask here.

John
methodman

Postby jokerjoe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

The setup files need to be on the server, you'll need to manually upload them which will probably take a while depending on your connection. Either setup ftp on the server or use a file hosting site.

Alternatively Office 2007 is easily and quickly downloadable from Microsoft, you'll need to enter a licence after 60 days.
jokerjoe

Postby methodman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Jokerjoe - Thanks Came to the conclusion that it would be the only way so i'm currently copying the CD to the server.
methodman

Postby Steve Voltage » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:18 pm

jokerjoe is everything still good with Tagadab ? I would love to free my pc of running ba and this looks good.
Steve Voltage

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion