Remotely Run Betting Assistant

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

Postby Steve Voltage » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Signed up for the weeks trial but couldn't get my pc to connect. not as easy as i thought.
Steve Voltage

Postby Steve Voltage » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Arnold wrote:Signed up for the weeks trial but couldn't get my pc to connect. not as easy as i thought.

Ok im in now :roll: Just one question what about security i.e Norton etc ?
Steve Voltage

Postby Steve Voltage » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 pm

one thing about tagadab that i have noticed is that their clock is about seven seconds behind the clock on my own pc. i have installed an atomic clock on tagadab and my pc but the time difference remains the same. would an atomic clock work with a virtual server? i understand that ba works of the clock on your pc and not from a clock from betfair, is this right? if so any time difference could be crucial imo.
Steve Voltage

Postby GaryRussell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:04 am

BA works from the clock on your PC.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby Steve Voltage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 am

GaryRussell wrote:BA works from the clock on your PC.

Loading a market 1min before the off would not be the same for every pc it would appear. i have an acer netbook that has a very unreliable clock. wouldnt it be better if all api products got there clock from betfair ?
Steve Voltage

Postby GaryRussell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:21 am

Surely if you synchronise it with an atomic clock every day, it can't change that much during the day. Betfair don't provide a means to synchronise with their server. The API is spread over several servers and the timestamps on prices can vary by several seconds on some days from call to call so it's definitely not an option at the moment.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby jokerjoe » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:06 pm

In the API doc it says the Betfair time server is sync'ed with the following public servers:
  • Chimera.csx.cam.ac.uk
  • Ntp.maths.tcd.ie
  • Dire.bris.ac.uk
  • Ntp1.pipex.net
I've noticed differences between my home pc and tagadab. I suggest changing the update interval to something more frequent.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-17.html

Gary - when you say the timestamps vary, if a later request comes back with an earlier timestamp will it have data from an earlier time too?
jokerjoe

Postby GaryRussell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:32 pm

jokerjoe wrote:In the API doc it says the Betfair time server is sync'ed with the following public servers:
  • Chimera.csx.cam.ac.uk
  • Ntp.maths.tcd.ie
  • Dire.bris.ac.uk
  • Ntp1.pipex.net
I've noticed differences between my home pc and tagadab. I suggest changing the update interval to something more frequent.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-17.html

Gary - when you say the timestamps vary, if a later request comes back with an earlier timestamp will it have data from an earlier time too?

It didn't last time I looked. I think it's the API cache servers not having their time synchronised. When I get a chance I'll have another look at this.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Remote Access

Postby Coventry Kid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 am

I've just got BA and am very impressed - especially as I might be able to run my Excel macros while on holiday in my campervan. Could I leave my PC running at home and access it from my holiday site using my laptop from a WIFI site ? Will I need another BA subscription ?
Coventry Kid

Postby GaryRussell » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 am

You won't need another subscription if you are accessing your PC remotely. You only need extra subscriptions if you want to use multiple Betfair accounts.

You can usually access your PC using Windows remote desktop without having to purchase extra software as long as you can figure out how to configure your firewall. It usually involves configuring your router to open the relevant port. If that sounds a bit scary then you could consider using something like www.logmein.com
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby throwmeadisc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:09 am

The relevant port is for the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is 3389. But I use logmein.com.

Geek! :shock:

Al :lol:
throwmeadisc

Postby Coventry Kid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks I'll give it a go.
Coventry Kid

Postby greenfingers » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:04 am

Hi, I'm thinking about signing up for a VPS. I've looked at Tagadab and Fasthosts mentioned in this thread, which would be around the £25 - £30 per month mark.

Is there any tangible difference in response times between these companies? Is there an advantage if there is one physically closer to the betfair servers (wherever they are?!).

Also, I've found a couple of other companies, e.g. virtualservers.com who offer a Meta Trader VPS package which is tailored to people running MetaTrader 4 software (from what I can see it's for forex trading etc). The features of this package are

* "A more resilient Windows Virtual Server"
* "More than one Windows VPS RDP Connection"
* "Add an auto reboot application"
* "Add a 24x7 VPS helpdesk function"

would this be a benefit for running BA? I guess the auto-reboot wouldn't make any difference as I'd have to re-login to beftair on BA anyhow if the server had gone down?

Do I need the Plesk software they are charging for to access the VPS or can I use the windows remote desktop mentioned in this thread (is that free)? Alternatively, is the suitable version of LogMeIn the free one?

So many questions, so little time.........! Thanks for any help you can give. :)
greenfingers

Postby jokerjoe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:33 am

Physical closeness will probably translate to lower ping times. Can't comment on fasthosts but tagadab responses are 0-8 ms.

Since running a betfair bot or MT4 bot requires similar features that may be a good option. "Resilience" sounds good don't know what it means. More than one RDP presumably refers to the registry tweak to allow more than one user to RDP it at a time, something you can do yourself on other installations. Tagadab has reboot options but no 24/7 helpdesk.

If they've stripped out the unnecessary processes (web hosting etc) on a standard Windows Server installation it might have more resources to work with.

Plesk is unnecessary, it's something to do with web hosting. RDP does the job fine, logmein is also unnecessary.
jokerjoe

Postby greenfingers » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks a lot for your answers Joe. That puts me in the right direction. :D
greenfingers

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion