formula for adding runninf numbers

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

formula for adding runninf numbers

Postby punterspride » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:18 pm

i wonder if someone can please help me.

i am new to excel and am playing around with it. i would like to know if there is a formula that i can use to add all the numbers up in a seperate box.

for example if i want to calculate the money that goes for the top horse in block g5 in excel sheet what is the formula.

i have tried sum , count etc..

i think it buggers it up because it changes so frequently.

shortly said i would like to add up numbers in the same block. as it changes the amount in the other block where i put in my formula must go bigger ( sum )

hope anyone can help me

please thanx
ppunterspride
punterspride

Postby Mitch » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but to add numbers together you use sum. So if you're using A1 as the top left cell, and want to add up the BACK money available for the top horse, the formula would be
Code: Select all
=SUM(C5,E5,G5)

or you could do this
Code: Select all
=C5+E5+G5

The one thing you can't do is to put the formula in a cell that BA pastes info in to, because it will get overwritten straight away.

If that helps, good. If not, please try to be a little more specific about what you'd like to get it to do.
Mitch

Postby punterspride » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:42 pm

i think i explained it a little bit difficult.

if you go onto excel it shows you how the money changes for every horse.

what i would like to do is add up the money for each horse. ( In block i5 of the excel sheet)

what i did is i copied the horses names below the ba excell and next to it i would like to see how much money trades hands for each horse.

like for instance block i5 is not a fixed number , it changes on every interval as money changes hands.

If you use sum it does not add all those numbers in the same block up.

for instance in block i5 the amounts change from ex. 345 to 45 to 57 to 786 to 543 to 56 etc...

now in block f16 i would like it to add up every amount as it changes.

it is like a continues add up of numbers in the same block.

I used SUM(I5) in block f16 but it does not add it up , it just shows the same figure as i 5 as it changes.

GHope this explains it better.

thanx
:)
punterspride

Postby Mitch » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:57 pm

I think I understand now, but the bad news is it can't be done with a formula.

You obviously have your reasons but I can't see how it would be useful, but then I'm a rubbish punter!
Mitch

Postby thunderfoot » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:59 am

Mitch wrote:I think I understand now, but the bad news is it can't be done with a formula.

Agree with Mitch .... it can be done using VB but I don't think this is what you really want. Think about it. Everytime the numbers changed, they could be going up/down the scale, so as you want to add the numbers as they change, you could end-up adding-in the same number more than once, which doesn't then give you any useful 'indicator'.

I think what you're trying to say is that you want to see how much money is being 'traded' on each selection, the same as you can see on the Betfairs pop-up when you click on a selection. This has been requested from Gary some time ago, and I believe he is looking at adding this feature on the new API version .......................... which we're all eagerly awaiting!!!
thunderfoot

Postby punterspride » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:24 am

what i have been doing is having a look at all the money that is trading on the backing side and all on the laying side.

i then have a look and see what the proportion is between the money that is being traded and the odds.

I plot those figures in a bar graph and stair at it. it can get to you after a while :)

i look at it for about ten minutes before the race and see who has the highest bar graph in each of the backing and laying charts.

30 seconds before off i make my decision on who to lay and who to back.

i am only testing it now , but so far it is going very well.

the laying side , you will be surprised works better than the backing side. i have chosen odds on fav to lose and they did.

the backing graph (as everybody knows backing you cannot always get right) i have about a 45% strike rate and up to a 20/1 winner.

i also use the backing graph for placing , where that works excellent. almost all of them get placed.

I don't know how i got onto it , I just thought i would try it and see what happens. after all the market decides what horse is going to lose and who is going to win.

we must play on the market , because their are people out there that are on the inside and know what is going on.

it is a sorry that i cannot add up all the money and odds that go through , because i think maybe i might have something here :idea:

i would have liked to set it on each race to add up and set the programme that 30 sec before each race the highest on the backing and laying it automatically triggers a bet.

But , it looks like i would have to keep on watching my screen :P

If anything comes up with something i would appreciate it very much

Thanx again
punterspride

Postby Mitch » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:39 pm

So how do you add up the numbers at the moment?

What you want should be quite simple with vba, but you need to be very specific about what you want to do.
If you want me to have a go I will, but I'll bug you with lots of questions about how it should work, and it may take a while as my life is a bit hectic at the moment.

Maybe someone with a bit more time might want to have a go?

Either pm me or post on here if you want me to.
Mitch

Postby merlmagic » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:38 pm

Just in case anybody wanted to know how to do this..
You can use iteration in excel to record the cell changes. You can then calculate the increase/decrease per refesh. I think this is what you mean. Can be done without vba.
If anyone wants the code i can post it, but a quick search of the internet will reveal loads of examples for you to download.
merlmagic

Postby GeorgeUK » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 am

You've got my interest merl

What you are saying is there is a formula That you could put in cell B1 to add the values that appear in A1?
so if A1 is 5, B1 is 5
then A1 becomes 4 and B1 becomes 9

Is this what you mean? With a formula?

Can you explain please? Never come across this iteration thing before.

thanks
George
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby Captain Sensible » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Captain Sensible

Postby Mitch » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:02 am

That is very interesting. I also wish I hadn't said it wasn't possible now :oops: lol

I can't think at the moment, but there must be some good opportunities to use that with BA.
Mitch

iteration example

Postby merlmagic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:34 am

merlmagic

Postby merlmagic » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:40 am

In the above example, The top left cell as A1.
The left hand side is what the example will look like.
The right hand side is the formulas that go in to the corresponding parts to make it work.
Just write in the formulas into the corresponding cells to make this work.

Iteration needs to be turned on in excel. tool, options, calculation, tick the box that allows iteration.

The target cell for the data feed is a2. So in a2 you would set this to the changing data cell. ie =H7 or whatever you want it to be. To set this up with Betfair Trader, just copy paste your completed example down the page.

Hope this helps everyone.
merlmagic

Postby a1ehouse » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:17 am

This thread has caught my eye!! Sounds very interesting punterspride, BA is all about watching and playing the market rather than what the form says!! I will be testing some ideas out also based on merls iterations and see is there's any trends to be had. 8)
...it maekesh me do a shecks wee...
a1ehouse

Return to Discussion