As fast as you can get

Discuss anything related to using the program (eg. triggered betting tactics)

Moderator: 2020vision

As fast as you can get

Postby negapo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi to all

I have been using betfair and gruss for a while to implement some strategies that i try to create and in some of them the speed is crucial. There is some discussion here in the forum about speed but most of them regarding the price refresh speed. I wanted to strip down the process a little further including the calculation time (ways of improving) and how betfair handles the entire process.
I have read that betfair resolves the markets in 200ms periods so i believe something like this happens:

0:00:00:000 - Price Retrieve by user (Back Price on selection 1 is 1.10 and there is 50€ available)
0:00:00:050 - User 1 places a 50€ bet at 1.10 on selection 1
0:00:00:100 - User 2 places a 50€ bet at 1.10 on selection 1
0:00:00:200 - Betfair resolves bets in the order that they arrived

The result is that User 1 got his bet entirely matched and User 2 is unmatched.

My first question is (if this example is right) how would BA (or any other software) handle this?
Is this the way it goes?

0:00:00:000 - Price Retrieve by BA (Back Price on selection 1 is 1.10 and there is 50€ available)
Made my calculation under 200ms and placed a back bet of 50€ at 1.10 on selection 1
0:00:00:200 - Gruss retrieves prices again and sees my bet and sends to betfair
0:00:00:400 - Gruss retrieves prices again and I know if my bet was matched

If this is the way then do i just have to make my calculations under the 200ms and be sure that my Internet connection is as fast as it could be so after the 0:00:00:200 mark by bet is the first to arrive. If this is true then my second question is: would a dedicated server in Malta be the best way to go?

And regarding the calculation speed, would a VB application using the COM server be faster then an excel spreadsheet using COM in VBA?

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this.
I just think that even if we don't need to be fast its good to know how these little things are handled and I'm not very knowledge on this issues.

Regards
negapo

Return to Discussion