Choosing specific prices to back/lay

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Choosing specific prices to back/lay

Postby somatics » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:39 pm

Hi all, quick newbie question and a bit of feedback first - really responsive, stable, clean software with everything just working straight out of the box - thank you for an excellent experience.

My question: I know this can be done on Betangel, only because I just saw a video about this... and I know this isn't the Betangel support site. :)

How do I back at a specific price? e.g. I want to back a horse at 1.2 but the current price is 4.9

If I click in the blue cell to the left of 1.2 in the ladder view, I would expect my $50 stake to be placed at 1.2, but instead BA places the $50 as a back bet at 4.9

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Thanks in advance.
somatics

Re: Choosing specific prices to back/lay

Postby Captain Sensible » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:05 am

Your bet is being placed at 1.2 but you'll always be matched at the best odds available. You can lookup the odds of the bet you requested on the website bet history page. Or are you only trying to place the bet once the best odds are 1.2?
Captain Sensible

Postby somatics » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:41 am

I'm trying to leave my $50 at 1.2 regardless of the current price or the best price.

So if another person wants to take some or all of that $50 at 1.2, they will have to lay at 1.2. The best price or current price could be 4.9 or 8.0, or a 1000, it doesn't matter.

Am I dreaming haha? Is this even possible?
somatics

Postby Wacom78 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:27 am

Why would you want to back at 1.2 when the current odds at 4.9? :shock:
Wacom78

Postby xraymitch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:09 am

Wacom78 wrote:Why would you want to back at 1.2 when the current odds at 4.9? :shock:

I guess he is thinking if it gets to 1.2 in running then it has a good chance of being a winning bet and his bet will be at the front of the que. Of course you could just set up a trigger to fire at 1.2...

8)
xraymitch

Postby alrodopial » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:47 am

somatics wrote:I'm trying to leave my $50 at 1.2 regardless of the current price or the best price.

So if another person wants to take some or all of that $50 at 1.2, they will have to lay at 1.2. The best price or current price could be 4.9 or 8.0, or a 1000, it doesn't matter.

No , you can not do it
The default by bf is that if you place a back bet at ??? odds and the available odds are larger you get matched to these larger odds
I you place a lay bet at ??? odds and the available lay odds are smaller you get matched to these smaller odds
alrodopial

Postby GaryRussell » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:34 pm

You can post a link to the Betangel video if you want. I won’t mind.
GaryRussell
Site Admin

Postby somatics » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:25 pm

I rewatched it and disappointingly, I missed the vital part of the video where this is absolutely NOT possible in Betangel, oops.

Sorry folks, what an idiot lol.

Yes, I was trying to be at the front of the queue for relatively medium/small movements. e.g. lay at 1.2 and then force a back bet by setting some magical non-existent back bet at 1.4 and always getting it matched, pre-off or in-play. I see prices moving by 1 or 2 ticks then suddenly 4 ticks and I wanted to catch those.
somatics

Postby xraymitch » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:54 pm

alrodopial wrote:
No , you can not do it
The default by bf is that if you place a back bet at ??? odds and the available odds are larger you get matched to these larger odds
I you place a lay bet at ??? odds and the available lay odds are smaller you get matched to these smaller odds

and that is my understanding as well, but have a look at the screenshot showing that I am prepared to wager £2 if I am given better than the 1.44 odds on offer. If the wager was offered to you and you thought the selection had no chance then you would take the wager in the hope of winning the £2 staked. I guess I am missing something...

8)

Betting_Assistant_xbh6kG4Pra.png
Hot favourite
Betting_Assistant_xbh6kG4Pra.png (223.36 KiB) Viewed 15196 times
xraymitch

Postby xraymitch » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:25 am

Just to be a little clearer.

Is there any way I can ask for better than the 1.44 to back and have the bet taken in full ?
xraymitch

Postby alrodopial » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 pm

xraymitch wrote:Just to be a little clearer.

Is there any way I can ask for better than the 1.44 to back and have the bet taken in full ?

No there isn't, it's an offer you make for odds/amount and someone else has to accept it
Will he?
Unknown
alrodopial

Postby xraymitch » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:39 pm

alrodopial wrote:
xraymitch wrote:Just to be a little clearer.

No there isn't, it's an offer you make for odds/amount and someone else has to accept it
Will he?
Unknown

Thanks alrodopial,I thought that was what I was doing when I placed £2 to back at odds of 2.0, yet when I clicked on the left handside of the ladder (pink) to accept the bet I end up as in the screeshot below. I am embarrased to admit that despite 20 years of betting on the exchange I still get confused.
Odds.png
Odds matched at 1.46 not 2.0
Odds.png (33.12 KiB) Viewed 15170 times
xraymitch

Postby somatics » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 am

I did find this on the BA forum:

---
Betfair will always match bets at the best available odds at the time it reaches the market.

So if you try to back a selection/runner at lower odds than its current price
For example if you back at 1.50 and the price is currently 3.65 you will get matched at 3.65
Or
If you try to lay a selection/runner at higher odds than its current price
For example if you lay at 17.0 and the price is currently 6.8 you will get matched at 6.8

The only way you can back at lower odds OR lay at higher odds than the current price is to create a rule for a servant or automation file that will then place the bet for you when the desired price is reached.
This is done using a 'Fixed Odds Condition'

For example with a Back bet you might want to use ''Place at' fixed odds 1.54
You'd then add the following Fixed odds Condition
Selections last traded price is < 1.55

--

So yes it can be done via automation, and indeed has been actioned by one of the community devs, and utilised by BA clients.

I shan't post the links but they can be found by searching these two terms:

Bet Angel - FAQ's : Back at Odds lower OR Lay at Odds Higher than the Current Price
General discussion : Bet Placement Options Question

Cheers.
somatics

Postby xraymitch » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:02 am

somatics wrote:I did find this on the BA forum:

Thanks for your feedback and for providing the search terms.

The only way you can back at lower odds OR lay at higher odds than the current price is to create a rule for a servant or automation file that will then place the bet for you when the desired price is reached.

Surely we are doing something similar to the above when we create triggers in Gruss BA Software.

8)
xraymitch

Postby somatics » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 am

Exactly!

There's also an "Enable tick offset" in the betting options on Gruss.
somatics

Next

Return to Help