please help wth back and lay bets

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

please help wth back and lay bets

Postby fab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi

I'm trying to use the trading mode in betting assistant and had a couple of questions.
The idea is to back a selection and then have betting assistant lay it automatically a couple of ticks below.

1) Am I right in thinking the program needs to be on during the trade for it to work?
So if I switch off betting assistant the initial bet remains but the trade is cancelled?

2) When the back bet is matched, the software will place the lay bet automatically but seems to cancel what hasn't yet been matched on the back bet.Is that normal?
Has it got anything to do with fill or kill option? (I haven't ticked that)

Thanks for your help!
fab

Postby Uncle Ernie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:37 pm

1) Yes BA needs to be running for it to monitor the bet to place any offset bets. Shut it down and any bets already placed will sit there waiting to be matched.

2) If the fill option has been ticked it will lay an opposing bet for any part of the bet that was matched. It will either lay or back to the number of ticks you select.

If the initial bet was part filled BA will cancel the remainder of the bet before submitting the offset. Perfectly normal and the way the program has been set.

The kill option will cancel the bet after however many seconds you select if the bet was not matched.
Uncle Ernie

Postby fab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Thanks uncle Ernie

Not sure I understanf fill or kill yet, I'll have to practice a bit I suppose.

So is there any way I can place a bet, make BA place the offset bet but KEEP what remains of the initial bet on to be matched later?

eg I back Chelsea at 1.5 with 200£, 50 £ are matched so BA starts laying 50 £ say at 1.46 but does not cancel the remaining 150 £.

Thanks!
fab

Postby Uncle Ernie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am

eg I back Chelsea at 1.5 with 200£, 50 £ are matched so BA starts laying 50 £ say at 1.46 but does not cancel the remaining 150 £.

Not at the moment any unmatched gets cancelled - It is a pain for markets where there's large liquidity when 50p gets matched you then have to start at the back of the queue. For the racing and quick moving markets I prefer it to cancel and then resubmit manually myself.

I imagine Gary's coded it that way because it's easier to cancel the remaining part then offset bet any matched portion. That way BA then doesn't have to keep track of all the matched / unmatched portions which could get very messy with small amouts getting matched here and there. Especially on a horse race where you may be betting on all 20 odd runners.
Uncle Ernie

Postby fab » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks Uncle Earnie for your explanations, this will save me time trying different options out.

It makes sense for trading onn horses as you said.
My idea was to trade bets while at work or at night on the nba

I think what I'll have to do is divide my bets into smaller sections so it doesn;t get unmatched.

Do you know any software rhat could do what I'm looking for? or am I not allowed to ask on here?

Thanks again for your help. :o
fab

Postby Uncle Ernie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:06 pm

I guess your best bet is submitting them in £10 chunks i.e. click the lay button 20 times to submit £200's worth. That way all the bets should be more or less together and you'd have to be unlucky for them all to be picked off in smaller amounts.

Don't know of any software that does it for you.
Uncle Ernie

Postby tkp » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:06 pm

You could do what you want in MS Excel & B.A.
tkp
tkp

Postby fab » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks Ernie and tkp

tkp would it be too much to ask you how?
Is there a formula I can use?
Thanks!
fab

Return to Help