Locked for Editing

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Locked for Editing

Postby brumbie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 am

If I accidentally close the spreadsheet before "detaching" it from Gruss then I can never open the damn thing again and write to it as it is constantly locked for editing. I have to reboot the PC to unlock the spreadsheet. Does anyone know of a sure fire way of unlocking it without a reboot?...apart from renaming?( even that is time consuming)..thanks guys.
brumbie

Re: Locked for Editing

Postby vanbuuts » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:15 am

If you go to link to excel in gruss - and then click “kill all excel processes” I think that should do it. Or use task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and close the background excel that way
vanbuuts

Postby brumbie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:03 am

That's just it, there is no background excel in the task manager and Gruss has already been closed. So I effectively have a ghost excel running and no way of closing it?
brumbie

Postby NorthView » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:44 pm

It's a known issue when closing a linked Excel file. You need to remove the link first, or close Gruss first.
NorthView

Postby brumbie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Yeah, aware of all that mate. Just wondered if anyone had a work around. Anyway, thanks guys, if I come up with a solution I'll put it up.
brumbie

Postby brumbie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 am

If anyone else is like me and sometimes forgets to disconnect the spreadsheet first from Gruss, then the best I can think of for now, which is working quite well for an oldie like me is a little macro that I have nicked from the net and altered to suit my needs.
Open the VB editor, in the project manager find your workbook and right click thisworkbook and click view code. In the window that opens copy/paste this code:

Code: Select all
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim answer As String
Dim question As String
question = "Have You Closed GRUSS First"
answer = MsgBox(question, vbYesNo)
If answer = vbNo Then
MsgBox "Then Close Gruss First IDIOT"
Cancel = True
Exit Sub
Else
ThisWorkbook.Save
End If
End Sub