Odds range in automation using excel

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Odds range in automation using excel

Postby 813615 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Hi guys, when using excel automation is there a way of selecting an odds range in column 'R', like between 5-10 then lay? just seem to get quite a lot cancelled due to the odds moving before the lay bet is placed?
Thanks

Re: Odds range in automation using excel

Postby Captain Sensible » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Not sure what you're actually looking for but it's easy enough to trigger bets when the current odds are in a set range just using IF statements

So say we're monitoring Column O for the last price matched is between 5-10 and we want to stick LAY in the trigger column when that occurs we could simply enter the following in column Q, obviously you'd fill the stake and odds column with whatever value you wanted to get matched. You can add extra ticks to the last matched odds if you think that'd help you get filled.

Code: Select all
=IF(AND(O5>=5,O5<=10),"LAY","")
Captain Sensible

Postby Captain Sensible » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Obviously with fast moving odds you may still not get filled so depending on what your strategy is sometimes it's best to anticipate the odds and place bets up early and cancel if things aren't going the way you expect rather than trying to catch the odds.
Captain Sensible

Postby 813615 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:54 am

Hi, really appreciate your reply and sorry for delay, I should have added that i want to lay to liability and not stake and the only way as I understand it works is laying to sp "LAYSP" in column Q? I'm happy to lay seconds before the off if the price is within my criteria but when i put "LAY" is does so but lays to a stake and not liability? so with that I'm using "LAYSP" and i have some other filters for the odds which looks at the odds 0-5 seconds from the official start time and if within my criteria submits the lay bet at the current odds but I'm getting quite a few getting cancelled as the odds come in between the official start time when the bet is sent to the actual start time if that makes sense? It might be that my criteria for the odds range is say between 3-10 and the horse selected is say 4.6 when the lay is submitted so i'm happy to take anything so long as it's over 3 and under 10 so just seeing if i could select this range within the trigger or something? i've searched the forum and seen a 'tickMinus' command but when i tried that i just got 'Name' in the trigger cell hence the post as not an expert when it comes to excel? Many thanks again.
Cheers

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm

813615 wrote:Hi, really appreciate your reply and sorry for delay, I should have added that i want to lay to liability and not stake and the only way as I understand it works is laying to sp "LAYSP" in column Q? I'm happy to lay seconds before the off if the price is within my criteria but when i put "LAY" is does so but lays to a stake and not liability?

If you want lay to a liability it's just a case of dividing your liability by the decimal odds minus 1 i.e. we want to lay to a liability of 5 and the odds are 3 our stake would be 50/(3-1) = £25 at odds of 11 our stake is 50/(11-1) = £5 in excel using odds from coulmn R column S would simply be

Code: Select all
=50/(R5-1)

Using LAYSP your bets go into the BSP and the odds you put in column R set the maximum odds you're willing to accept, it the maximum odds would want to lay to is 10 then you should simply stick 10 into column R. You can't set minimum odds using the Betfair SP so you'd have to code that into your filters as to when to send the bet i.e. if last odds matched in column O match your criteria you'd fill you betting trigger columns.

Hopefully that makes some sense but basically you set your filters to decide when to bet and then simply use the upper odds as your odds in column S as those are the maximum BSP you'd be willing to accept, if the odds were over that the bet would simply lapse. With the lower limit on your odds range you'd basically have to fire the bets as close to the off as possible and hope they don't come in too much if it's that big a problem to you. if that lower limit is really important you'd have to look at monitoring the odds close all the way to the off and cancelling/resubmitting everytime it breached the limit which realistically would be a real pain for something that will most likely be very few bets and even out simply by variance in the long run.
Captain Sensible

Postby 813615 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Brilliant, thank you for that, yeah I'm happy to use the formula to convert stake to liability, as i'm back testing at minute my liability was £10 for each race so wasn't sure if the minimum had to be £2 stake but just tried it and it worked on a lower sum so will add that to my spreadsheets and see how i go, many thanks again
lee

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:38 pm

If you're using Betfair SP (LAYSP or LAY-SP) the minimum liability for lay bets is £10 to go in the BSP pool.

If you're simply backtesting Betfair do provide all the BSP price data at https://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/prices
Captain Sensible

Postby 813615 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm

I've just set the trigger to 'lay' 5 seconds from the start time which I'm happy with as the odds criteria are also covered by another column then used the formula you've mentioned to set max liability to £10 whilst testing and worked fine so far this afternoon, many thanks again
Lee

Return to Help