Bet timing Excel? Betting just before race start?

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Bet timing Excel? Betting just before race start?

Postby jdeets84 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:07 am

Hi, I'm using a triggered betting spreadsheet and hoping to bet the FAV as accurately as possible. With some races starting a few inutes after the official "off time", my sheet can strike a bet on the current FAV at race time only for it to drift and not start the race as FAV.

Could anybody advise whether it's possible to use the race status on Betfair ("going down", "loading stalls" etc.) in order to bet a little closer to the off. If not, do you think it's possible to strike the bet at off time and then set a trigger to trade out of the position if another runner becomes FAV (leaving a small loss position) and then have the sheet continue to monitor if it becomes RANK 1 again?

Please suggest your best method to back the FAV.

Thanks,
James
jdeets84

Re: Bet timing Excel? Betting just before race start?

Postby bolpx001 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:53 am

I too would be very interested if this were possible or in the pipeline
best regards - paul
bolpx001

Postby Elf » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:28 am

I have the same problem. Ideally it would be great to match at “Red Light On” (AUS Gallops). What i do is have in my Trigger a minimum amount matched on the race before firing. This helps when races are delayed but not on Saturday racing when Metro is matching 500K but country matching only 100K. I get it right 90% plus using this method.
Elf

Postby MollyMoo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:02 pm

Can you not monitor Cell E2 and, when it displays "In Play", bet on the horse with the lowest price?
MollyMoo

Postby jdeets84 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:16 pm

There's not always enough liquidity when going in play. Looks better to get matched just before the off with any unmatched to be settled at Betfair SP
jdeets84

Postby bolpx001 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:14 pm

No, Too much can happen once race goes ‘In Play’ horse I slow to leave stall etc Also there is the Betfair imposed delay and a liquidity issues.
For what it’s worth I trade out at two seconds to off and the difference in the odds compared to BSP can be significant.
best regards
Paul
bolpx001

Postby Captain Sensible » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:21 pm

jdeets84 wrote:Hi, I'm using a triggered betting spreadsheet and hoping to bet the FAV as accurately as possible. With some races starting a few inutes after the official "off time", my sheet can strike a bet on the current FAV at race time only for it to drift and not start the race as FAV.

Could anybody advise whether it's possible to use the race status on Betfair ("going down", "loading stalls" etc.) in order to bet a little closer to the off. If not, do you think it's possible to strike the bet at off time and then set a trigger to trade out of the position if another runner becomes FAV (leaving a small loss position) and then have the sheet continue to monitor if it becomes RANK 1 again?

Please suggest your best method to back the FAV.

Thanks,
James

You can export the race status as an extra column to your spreadsheet. No idea how reliable the race status is though.

I was chatting with one of the account managers during the first lockdown about the GPS data and told they were considering adding the number of runners left to load but sadly nothing seems to have come from that. It's a pity as I avoid things like the US races simply because the times off times are never accurate.
Captain Sensible

Postby bolpx001 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks Captain
I will check into this although I have no idea how to go about it. Sounds like it could be a big improvement on my what I’m doing.
best regards
Paul
bolpx001

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:58 pm

Just go to Options->Preferences->General and tick the box that says Display Race Status

Then when you link the excel sheet on the right hand side there's a box that says Additional columns just scroll down to the bootom and tick the Race Status box. Then when you link to excel you'll see an extra colmn added after Column X that shows the race status. Can't remember what the various options it shows but guess you'd just include an extra colndtion to your trigger to only bet when your time condition has been met and the Race status column is showing the last race status option before the off.
Captain Sensible

Postby bolpx001 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:29 pm

That is brilliant Captain. I have been using BA for donkeys years and when I first started I set up the options and haven’t really looked at them since. Will get on to it later tonight when the Mrs is gone to bed :D
Thanks again Paul
bolpx001

Postby jdeets84 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Will give it another go at the weekend. Tried using that previously and only managed to get the column name added but no data updating to the corresponding cell. Interested if anybody has any luck with it.
jdeets84

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 pm

jdeets84 wrote:Will give it another go at the weekend. Tried using that previously and only managed to get the column name added but no data updating to the corresponding cell. Interested if anybody has any luck with it.

Works fine for me , just make sure you have Race Status displayed in the Preferences, plus some races won't have Race Status available like some overseas courses etc.

It's annoying that it's been set as an extra column rather than single cell as it means you have to re-write code if you've already things going on in those columns and no reason every runner needs race status.
Captain Sensible

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Be interested to see how people get on as I've considered adding it to my sheets for delayed races etc but too much of a pain to re-write my sheets to account for the extra column being added atm especially if it's not that reliable.
Captain Sensible

Postby bolpx001 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:59 pm

Works fine for me but have to rewrite my betting code. It won’t be perfect but it should be an improvement
Thanks again
Paul
bolpx001

Return to Help