Trigger bets from Excel just after a race is off

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Trigger bets from Excel just after a race is off

Postby Spamfree » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:34 pm

I would like to be able to use Excel to submit bets in-running when I am away from my PC.

These could be one or more horses, in one or more races, backs or lays at different prices and stakes.

Is this possible in Excel?
Spamfree

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 am

Excel is so good that the answer is almost definately yes. The hard part is deciding on the rules that Excel will work to, then how to implement them.

If you're not very familiar with what Excel can do post a rough outline of what you want it to do and you should get plenty of pointers.
The biggest problem that I've found using Excel is you have to have very clear-cut rules for everything you want to do, and every possible problem has to be catered for. What seems like an easy job to start with turns into a monster in front of your eyes.
Mitch

Postby Spamfree » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:05 am

What I want to do isn't too complicated as regards bets just put up a few offers as soon as a race turns in running that wouldn't be matched immediately:

Selection - Time - Meeting - Bet Type - Stake - Price
Red Rum - 3:50 - Liverpool - Back - 10.00 - 95.00
Istabraq - 3:10 - Cheltenham - Lay - 10.00 - 3.00

I realise that Excel can be used to place bets but to achieve what I want it has to be running constantly and detect when a race turns in play - this is the bit I'm not sure about - could it be achieved via a web query?
Spamfree

Postby GeorgeUK » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:02 am

Have you used the excel feature?

You don't need a webquery as the Betfair Assistant already does it for you.

Open excel with a blank workbook and open gruss' application.
Select a race to watch
In the menu - select excel, then the first option to log current prices.
You will see the name of the workbook that is open and can select the sheet you want the data sent to.
(Also where the data starts - usually cell A1)
Select enable triggered betting - but you don't need to place any bets (so not login via the app if unsure and want to test it)

On sheetx of the workbook you opened you should now see the race odds changing and a cell that says not in play.
Keep watching this as the race gets ready to start.
This will turn inplay at the start of the race.
At the end of the race, the cell beside it will say suspended.
This means the race has finished (unless it is one of the rare screwups by betfair)

I am working on something similar, but have a few bugs to iron out. will let you have a copy of the workbook once it is finished. When you select the race and add it to the quickpick list you basically copy the race title and the horses you want from sheet1 in excel to sheet2. After you have made all your selections, you type yes into a cell that then allows the monitoring of the races so that bets can be made at the appropriate time.

Should hopefully have it ready in a week or so.
Is this the type of thing you were talking about?
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 am

That doesn't sound too difficult, as long as you can define hard & fast rules about which selections to choose, whether to lay or back, what stake, and at what odds.

You can detect when a race turns In-Play by checking cells E2 (will say In-Play) and F2 (needs to be empty). One problem I've found with doing that though is when betting is re-opened on a photo finish, crazy odds can appear there very quickly.

If you need any more help or need it writing for you, either post back here with more details or pm me.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:07 am

Beat me to it George, and a far better explanation. :D
Mitch

Postby GeorgeUK » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:37 am

Just trying to catch up with you postcount Mitch :lol:

In relation to this - do you code in VBA?
I'd like someone to look over my workbook once it's done just to make sure i have not left any loopholes.
Still needs a bit of work though.

I was making it for someone else that wanted to place bets 5 min before the off, so wanted this to be running while they were at work. Not really for in-running betting, but it would be fairly simple to adapt. I'm pretty sure i have it covered so that bets aren't placed if there is a photofinish - but a few bugs to get out first.

cheers
George
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby Spamfree » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:29 pm

GeorgeUK,
Thanks for that and I would be interested in a copy of what you are doing.

I'll have a look at what you suggest on the USA stuff tonight I haven't time now with the UK racing about to start. This is what I want - more time. What I want to be able to do is open a spreadsheet early in the morning type in my in-running only bets, leave it running and go out for the day. I don't want to be there to see when races have gone off.
Spamfree

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:21 pm

George, I'd gladly look over your code if you'd like me to but I wouldn't say I'm an expert on it. I just seem to be able to get it to do what I want most of the time :) (eventually)

I've only learnt from needing to do things myself, rather than reading books or taking classes. Almost every time I use it I find something else it can do that amazes me.

While we're on the subject if anyone else wants help with Excel or vba then post it up and we'll see what we can do.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Just one other thought. When the time goes past the start time and becomes negative, I couldn't get Excel to recognise it as a time format so had to check if the leftmost character was a "-". For my purposes I didn't have to know how far past it was, just that it's past off-time.
Mitch

Postby thunderfoot » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Mitch wrote:Just one other thought. When the time goes past the start time and becomes negative, I couldn't get Excel to recognise it as a time format so had to check if the leftmost character was a "-". For my purposes I didn't have to know how far past it was, just that it's past off-time.

Yeah .... ain't that a bugger!!! :wink:
Had to do the same as you Mitch, then in the formulae the IF statement was "IF a Minus symbol THEN zero - The Time (less the Minus Symbol)" .... if you get my drift!! :wink:
thunderfoot

Return to Help