Line Charts in Excel

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Line Charts in Excel

Postby bmann13 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Hi,

I am a newbie here and at the risk of sounding dumb, can anybody please tell me how I can plot the prices of say the favorite as a line chart in excel, similar to line charts in the stock market.

I basically want these charts to update in realtime so I can use it for trading. Any help will be most appreciated.

BTW, thanks for building this neat piece of software Gary.

Thanks in advance.
bmann13

Postby Mitch » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:09 pm

Do you just want the same as the little chart in BA against each runner, but on a larger scale?
Mitch

Postby bmann13 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Mitch wrote:Do you just want the same as the little chart in BA against each runner, but on a larger scale?

Hi Mitch,

Yes that is what I am looking for, the exact same as in Betfair but on a larger scale in realtime without the need of hitting the refresh button all the time.

Thanks in advance.
bmann13

Postby Mitch » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm not sure if this will work how you want it to, but a simple way would be to import data for just one runner into a seperate worksheet, then base a line graph on the column where the data will be imported to. You can have the graph on the page with all runners if you want to.

If that sounds ok but you're not sure how to make the chart post back, it's easier than it sounds.
Mitch

Postby bmann13 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi Mitch,

I would like to try that out on one runner...the question begs...how do I do that please?

Thanks in advance
bmann13

Postby thunderfoot » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:41 pm

bmann13 wrote:Hi Mitch,
I would like to try that out on one runner...the question begs...how do I do that please?
Thanks in advance

I'm assuming you're not familiar with EXCEL, but here's a basic outline of graphing.

1. In Cells A1:A20 enter the number 1 to 20.
2. In Cells B1:B20 enter some 'random' odds.
3. Highlight cells A1:B20.
4. Insert/Chart ... suggest you select 'Line'.
5. Select the top left from the 'Chart Sub Type'.
6. Finish.

Your next problem is getting the data into the Data Area (A1:B20) :wink: :wink: :wink:
thunderfoot

Postby bmann13 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Hi thunderfoot,

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I have done that and have drawn my first line chart in excel :D

Now, how do we get to import the data into excel so I can have the charts update in real-time..any ideas?

Thanks in advance
bmann13

Postby thunderfoot » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:45 pm

bmann13 wrote:Hi thunderfoot,
I have done that and have drawn my first line chart in excel :D
Now, how do we get to import the data into excel so I can have the charts update in real-time..any ideas?

Congratulations :wink: & Yup! :wink:

I have my system doing just that, but I'm not willing to send anyone a copy due to my 'secret' strategies :wink: .......... BUT :o I can 'strip' it down so that it does what you want, but I'm afraid it won't be for a week or so, as I'm tied-up with work commitments (this is always getting in the way of what I WANT TO DO!!!! :evil: )

I would suggest also that if you want to graph data it is restricted to, say, the last 20 or 30seconds, there is no benefit in having data going back, say 2/3 minutes ..... what would you do with it??? It's history/gone/fini/ finito.
thunderfoot

Postby bmann13 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:12 pm

thunderfoot wrote:Congratulations :wink: & Yup! :wink:

I have my system doing just that, but I'm not willing to send anyone a copy due to my 'secret' strategies :wink: .......... BUT :o I can 'strip' it down so that it does what you want, but I'm afraid it won't be for a week or so, as I'm tied-up with work commitments (this is always getting in the way of what I WANT TO DO!!!! :evil: )

I would suggest also that if you want to graph data it is restricted to, say, the last 20 or 30seconds, there is no benefit in having data going back, say 2/3 minutes ..... what would you do with it??? It's history/gone/fini/ finito.

Hi thunderfoot,

Thanks for your on-going support. A week or so will be fine with me as I too will be gone for 2 weeks or so becuase of the 9 to 5 job :(

I appreciate you not sharing your secret strategies but hey when you feel like you want to help a few souls put me on top of the list :lol: I have tried numerous systems to try to make some decent returns on betfair but it seems the only people getting rich are betfair and the vendors selling their crappy systems, making me just another mug :oops:

Thanking you in advance.
bmann13

Return to Help