Excel Macros for beginners - where do I start

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Excel Macros for beginners - where do I start

Postby methodman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am

I would like to record the prices on offer at regular intervals before the off to identrify late drifters/steamers and expect that I need to use Macros to copy the cells and store the data elswhere (perhaps a 2nd worksheet). I have no idea where to start with Macros so if anybody knows of a good resource for learning the basics of writing Macros. A site with an idiots guide perhaps! Could they please point me in the right direction. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

John
methodman

Postby GeorgeUK » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:00 pm

For most excel stuff, you can try the message board at mrexcel.com
Use the search facility and you should be able to find just about anything.

For learning the basics of macros, you can start by recording them, then looking at the code this produces.
Goto tools > macro > record new macro
try doing some suff on the spreadsheet like copying, pasting and entering data etc
Goto tools > macro > stop recording
Goto tools > macro > open the VB editor and see what you have done in code form.
It's pretty easy to follow once you get into it.
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby excel_toy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm

I echo GeorgeUKs answer.

There are also many other sites with superb resources for excel.

Have a look at the mvp site

http://www.mvps.org/links.html#Excel

for a wealth of links

excel_toy
excel_toy

Postby methodman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks guys thats been really useful.

I have now written the macros to copy the cell values but have not yet found out how to trigger the macros based on cell values.

If anybody can tell me how to conditionally run a macro that would be great.

Thanks again

John
methodman

Postby GeorgeUK » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:37 am

There are a few dofferent typed of macros - more to do with events.

The basic macro is in a module - that is probably what you have done so far.
You can also write code for the worksheet, which will run the code or call macros to run when a specified event happens on the worksheet.
And the same is possible for writing code for the workbook. Workbook events are usually actioned when opening or closing the workbook.

What you will probably need to look at are worksheet_change events. Try doing a search here or in the other places mentiond for that.

eg if a cell in column F < 3, run macro "steamer"

This would get checked every time a change occurred on the worksheet you put the code in or called your macro from.
previously known as Gaseous (on the betfair forum)
GeorgeUK

Postby methodman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:26 pm

I did eventually get my code working but it didn't make any money so back to the drawing board.

Thanks for all your help.
methodman

Return to Help