Using 3G Data Cards - Might need Gary's help for this

Please post any questions regarding the program here.

Moderator: 2020vision

Using 3G Data Cards - Might need Gary's help for this

Postby one cool dog » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi

I am still trying to find a way of using gruss at my work. My latest idea is to get a 3G Data Card, which seems feasible. However, before I go any further, what amounts of data am I going to be downloading per day? Even an average would be handy to know?

These are my options -

Package A

HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard
Low Data Usage (Business Users Only - subject to a credit check)

Please note: It is comparatively easy to exceed 250MB using the new high speed Data Card. If you are in any way unsure as to your likely usage level, we strongly recommend that you choose Package B

Order Now! FREE Vodafone HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard
FREE Vodafone HSDPA/3G Broadband SIM Card
FREE HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard Network Connection
FREE HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard Software & Installation
FREE secure overnight delivery (ends 31/03/07)

Order before 2pm - delivered free by midday tomorrow

Monthly Line Rental: £20 (exc.VAT- Tariff upgraded at anytime)
Standard Contract: Just 12 months - can be upgraded at anytime
Monthly Data Allowance: Includes 250MB of data, with extra usage charged at only £1 per MB.

Plus:
Unlimited email and freephone support

System requirements Learn more!

To order your free Vodafone 3G Data Card or modem, including free next day delivery, please complete this simple online form or call us on freephone 0800 123000

Package B

HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard
High Data Usage

Order Now! FREE Vodafone HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard
FREE Vodafone HSDPA/3G Broadband SIM Card
FREE HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard Network Connection
FREE HSDPA/3G Broadband DataCard Software & Installation
FREE secure overnight delivery (ends 31/03/07)

Order before 2pm - delivered free by midday tomorrow

Monthly Line Rental: £35 (exc.VAT - Tariff upgraded at anytime)
Standard Contract: Just 12 months
Monthly Data Allowance: Unlimited data usage within the UK**.

Plus:
Unlimited email and freephone support

System requirements Learn more!

To order your free Vodafone 3G Data Card or modem, including free next day delivery, please complete this simple online form or call us on freephone 0800 123000

Hope my question makes sense.

Regards
one cool dog

Postby andyh » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi, I use a T-mobile data card from work and it works very well. I have it using the quickpick 5 mins before the off, and refreshing at 1.0 sec. This is usually for 8 - 10 races. I am also occasionally using it to access betfair and my webmail. On average I use 60-80Mb a day.

Hope this helps

Andy
andyh

Postby andyh » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Forgot to add that due to data transfer rate and the varying signal I wouldn't recommend this solution for fast trading. I tend to know which horse at a set price range so am not so dependent on getting an exact price match.

Cheers

Andy
andyh

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:31 pm

I've replied on the other thread about my experiences with Orange. Your daily usage, Andy, would tie in with mine, I think.
I'm thinking of switching to T mobile within the next few weeks. Do you reckon it's OK ? Do you use it at various locations or just at work ? I'm thinking about signal strengh etc.
Ian

Postby andyh » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Ian,

I use it at two locations, one city centre where the signal is v. good and the other which is more rural and the signal is pretty weak. I have had no probs with T-mobile and would reccommend using their 'street checker' tool on the website that will give you an idea of signal strength at a particular location.

Cheers

Andy
andyh

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Andy, I notice that you are able to get a 1 sec refresh rate to work. Don't you ever get any freezes ? It used to happen all the time with Orange if I went below 5secs. Mind you, I am mainly using it at racecourses so the signal strength may have been the problem and I suppose it will be the same with T mobile.
Ian

Postby andyh » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi Ian,

I do get the occasional freeze but not that it causes an issue. I am not trading so although the best price is always ideal I am not that bothered with small fluctuations and I set BA to trigger between certain odds.

Andy
andyh

Postby one cool dog » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi Andy,

Cheers for the answers. Is there a way of telling how many MBs you use a day, and how do you know your total.

Regards
one cool dog

Postby andyh » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi, with the t-mobile software there is a usage monitor so you can analyse daily, weekly or monthly.

Andy
andyh

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:23 pm

With Orange, there was no way of telling your daily usage. At the end of the month there was just the total usage for the month. When I queried my bill they were able to tell me some of the daily usages over the phone.
Ian

Postby one cool dog » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Again, many thanks for that information. One last thing, can you post me a link to the correct page of T Mobile.

Regards
one cool dog

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:18 pm

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/eshop/persona ... 1&navTab=3

This appears to have changed since I last looked at it before Xmas. I think there was a package where you could buy the card and pay less per month but that seem to have gone now.
Ian

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:23 pm

We need Betfair Assistant Lite :D
Ian

Return to Help